What's new

Samsung Said to Have Signed Deal to Make 160 Million OLED Panels for Apple’s iPhone 8

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Samsung to make 160 million OLED displays for iPhone 8.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today on news from the Korea Herald that says that Samsung has just signed a deal with Apple to supply 160 million OLED panels for the iPhone 8.

Apparently, Apple and Samsung had already signed a 100 million unit deal in 2016, but now Apple has extended that agreement and is asking Samsung to provide a further 60 million panels. It’s looking likely, therefore, that for this year’s iPhone at least, Samsung will be the sole provider of OLED panels for Apple. However, LG Display is expected to join the iPhone OLED panel supply chain next year.

Apple currently only uses OLED panels for the Apple Watch and the MacBook Pro Touch Bar.

The iPhone 8 is expected to have a bezel-less wraparound OLED display, with an integrated Touch ID home button and possibly even curved sides similar to those of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Recent rumours have said that due to the technology involved, the phone could cost more than $1,000 to buy.

Source: Samsung reportedly signs deal with Apple to make 160 million OLED panels for iPhone 8

160 MN advance orders versus 100 MN from last year..........they have a lot of confidence in this phone.

I bet it's going to be good.

I wonder how it makes Samsung feel to see 160 MN orders for OLED panels from Apple and they can't even give away their Samsung 7 and Samsung Note.

about time !! the display is gorgeous on the s7 compared to apples current offering . i will keep my iphone 6 until they come out with a hd display .