What's new

Running Cydia - root file access?

car975

Reaction score
I just jail broke with evasion and I am looking for instructions on how to gain root file system access.

i want to mount the iphone 5 as a drive and scan it with a file recovery program.

Thanks!

Install afc2add through Cydia to allow for USB rooting. Depending on what utility you're using, you may or may not need it, but it's generally necessary for direct USB to root access

Thanks for the reply! I downloaded afc2add in cydia - what do I do next? Any chance you can give me instructions on how to plug the phone in and mount it like a drive so I can scan it?

I'm not a technophobe, I consider myself about a. 7 to 8 out of 10 normally but on apple stuff only about a 4 to 5.

I really appreciate your help.

You can't directly mount the disk unless you're using on an iPhone 4 and below. Data recovery software won't be able to read the iOS root, you'll need to have utilities that specifically do so as it doesn't operate at a 1 to 1 level as a computer HDD.

You can't directly mount the disk unless you're using on an iPhone 4 and below. Data recovery software won't be able to read the iOS root, you'll need to have utilities that specifically do so as it doesn't operate at a 1 to 1 level as a computer HDD.

Can I make an image of the root contents and run the file recovery on that image?

For a full system image, you'll need professional utilities such as Elcomsoft and Cellebrite, basically a mobile forensic-like utility as you're on the iPhone 5.

For a full system image, you'll need professional utilities such as Elcomsoft and Cellebrite, basically a mobile forensic-like utility as you're on the iPhone 5.

Do you know where I can find someone to do this with that equipment in the Orlando, Florida area?