What's new

Rumour: New 6.5-Inch OLED iPhone Will be Same Size as iPhone 8 Plus

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
6.5 inch OLED iPhone said to be same size as iPhone 8 Plus.JPG

MacRumors reports today on a new rumour from Japanese blog Mac Otakara that says that according to a “reliable supplier source,” the forthcoming 6.5-inch OLED iPhone will be “the same size” as the current iPhone 8 Plus.

There will be a few differences between the two phones, however, with the source saying that the 6.5-inch phone will be 0.2mm thicker than the iPhone 8 Plus because of the design of the rear camera, which includes a vertical dual-lens camera.

The iPhone 8 Plus is 6.24 inches long and 3.07 inches wide, but it has large bezels at the top and bottom. In contrast, the forthcoming 6.5-inch iPhone, which is basically an iPhone X Plus, will have slimmer bezels and no Home button, thanks to the edge-to-edge display.

Mac Otakara also has some information about the forthcoming 5.8-inch OLED iPhone, which it says will have the same body as its predecessor, the current iPhone X, but with a larger rear camera lens due to the bigger camera sensor.

As far as this year’s third iPhone is concerned, the only LCD model, Mac Otakara’s source says that it will be 6 inches, rather than the previously rumoured 6.1 inches.

Along with lots of new iPhone information, Mac Otakara’s chatty source also said that the forthcoming iOS 12 will have Face ID improvements, enabling users to unlock their device when held at a horizontal angle. Currently you can only unlock your device when it is held vertically.

6.5-inch iPhone image: Mac Otakara

Source: 2018 6.5-Inch iPhone to Be Similar in Size to iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12 Could Feature Horizontal Face ID Support

Yep, the 6.5" model will be like an 8 Plus with an edge to edge screen. No bezels. I'll likely get the 6.5" model, it it's not too much out of my budget. If it is, I'll just get an 8 Plus and keep my 6s Plus on iOS 10.1.1.