What's new

Rumour: Apple to Remove Touch ID From iPhone 8 Altogether

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Rumour says iPhone 8 will not have Touch ID embedded in OLED display.JPG

According to a surprising new rumour from well-sourced KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, via MacRumors, Apple could have removed the Touch ID fingerprint sensor altogether from the iPhone 8. Kuo says that the iPhone 8 will have “the highest screen-to-body ratio of any smartphone currently available worldwide,” with its minimal bezels and edge-to-edge supply. Kuo supports what has been seen in many recently released dummies that have a “notch” at the top of the screen for the front-facing camera and sensors.

All of the above is pretty much standard fare that we’ve heard many times before over the past few months, but Kuo does have one big surprise, saying that he doesn’t think that Touch ID will be embedded into the iPhone 8’s OLED display, and he makes no mention of it being sited on the back of the phone or on the lock button. Kuo explains that Apple has failed to solve the technical issues involved with embedding the Touch ID sensor in the OLED display. Issues cited by Kuo as having outfoxed Apple include the full-screen design not working with the current capacitive fingerprint recognition, and various “technical challenges” with the scanning ability of the under-display fingerprint sensor.

Kuo adds that Apple could be about to replace the Touch ID sensor with advanced features such as “3D sensing for facial recognition,” and other biometric security measures.

If anyone else had come up with this rumour at this stage in the iPhone 8 development cycle it would be fair to say that you could discount it as just that, a rumour, but given Kuo’s excellent track record on Apple products to date, this report is definitely worthy of consideration.

Other predictions made by Kuo in his latest report include that all three of the new phones that Apple will be releasing this year will have embedded USB-C power delivery IC for faster charging, also, “to maintain its boutique image, we think the OLED version will offer fewer options for casing color than LCD iPhone models.”

Image: Slashleaks, Benjamin Geskin on Twitter

Source: Ming-Chi Kuo Predicts iPhone 8 Will Omit Touch ID Entirely, Come in Limited Color Options

That would mean no Apple Pay. If this rumour is true, the only way an iPhone 8 owner could use Apple Pay is with a paired Apple Watch.

That's fine. I never use Apple Pay. I rather an old fashion -- my credit card to carry with me. :)

Not that I intend to buy an iPhone 8 however the Touch ID has been around for so long now it would be such a shame if this rumour is true.

Its going to be interesting... I'm using face recognition on the S8+ works very well but I'd like that sensor... Apple Pay is a must for me... Love using it with the watch but we need it working solid on the iPhone

I love reading what you guys write, today in a shop in town selling household stuff, a lady wanted to pay using her phone. Couldn't see what model it was it had a scan code on it she asked to pay. The assistant just looked stunned, l said to the woman in English l don't think you will get far with that. She replied, me neither!!!!!!
Then l was stunned.

You guys are so far ahead of Germany

I love reading what you guys write, today in a shop in town selling household stuff, a lady wanted to pay using her phone. Couldn't see what model it was it had a scan code on it she asked to pay. The assistant just looked stunned, l said to the woman in English l don't think you will get far with that. She replied, me neither!!!!!!
Then l was stunned.

And Austria...

Then l was stunned.

I usually pay with my watch.