What's new

Rumor: Apple to bring Face ID to the HomePod

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's always fun to hear rumors on a second generation of a product that hasn't even launched yet!

The first generation of Apple’s HomePod smart speaker isn’t available to consumers until next month, but a new report from Nikkei is already looking to the future. The report suggests that Apple may be working to include its Face ID technology in HomePod by 2019…

Nikkei cites analysts in saying he’s likely referring to “the next generation of Apple’s HomePod.”

“We see trends that engineers are designing smart speakers that will not only come with voice recognition but also incorporate features such as facial and image recognition,” President David Ho told reporters after the company’s earnings conference.

“Such AI-related features are set to make people’s lives more convenient and to make the product easier to use.”

As for when Face ID could make its way to the HomePod:

Jeff Pu, an analyst at Yuanta Investment Consulting, said Apple could roll out HomePods with 3D-sensing cameras in 2019.

What would the benefit be to have this feature on the HomePod? I can't really think of any good uses of this tech off the top of my head?

I would guess it is for keyless entry locks for homes, I have a system that uses a keypad or fob, can also be opened with an App, but face recognition would be more secure. Amazon are working on a system at the moment for couriers to go in your house and leave a parcel, I can't see me ever doing that plus my home insurance would be invalid

So the locks themselves would have to have the face ID scanner on them?

So the locks themselves would have to have the face ID scanner on them?
I would guess so as technically you need to unlock my phone with Face ID to get to my App, I have a doorbell with live video, its the Ring system but not 100% reliable, I have had a mesh wifi system installed and apparently this confuses the Ring system as it bounces between zones, Ring are sending me one of their own repeaters called a 'Chime' that will work direct from the router to counter that issue. Maybe Ring will have face ID in the future.

I have had a Netatmo camera system throughout my house for a few years and that has face ID, it lets you know who enters by which door by name.