What's new

Ringtone help

the razor

Reaction score
I am new with Iphone. And to be honest I am not an expert in electronics.
I just bought two ringtones from Itunes and when I downloaded them into my PC they went into my music file. I synced my ipod and they did not go to ringtones. I want to load one for my text messages and the other for my answering calls. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong. In another words. What is the right procedure to download them and to go to the right place (ringtone folder). To a point I ended up deleting them. Thanks in advance for the help I can get out there. By the way I went to a couples webpages to find out a procedure and what I got was a virus. Meaning I would not want to go to a webpage I do not know. Thanks
The razor

Last edited:
just download a related software.

Thanks apoman. I guess for the weekend I am going to sit and figure it out. I will try and see your recomendations. Thanks again guys for your input and help.
Happy thanksgiving to all of you out there.

Clickeds on link above for creating ringtones in iTunes, but page no longer exists.

I have created a ringtone (using an app, not iTunes), and have it saved as .wav, .m4r, and .m4a. Apple technician told me to save ringtone as .m4r and simply drag it into Tones file in iTunes Library on my PC, from which it can be synched with my iPhone's "Sounds" settings. But when I try to drag and drop, the tone file doesn't show up in the destination folder. Does anyone know how to make this ought-to-be-simple process actually work?

ProfBob said:
Clickeds on link above for creating ringtones in iTunes, but page no longer exists.

I have created a ringtone (using an app, not iTunes), and have it saved as .wav, .m4r, and .m4a. Apple technician told me to save ringtone as .m4r and simply drag it into Tones file in iTunes Library on my PC, from which it can be synched with my iPhone's "Sounds" settings. But when I try to drag and drop, the tone file doesn't show up in the destination folder. Does anyone know how to make this ought-to-be-simple process actually work?

You drag the m4r file on the top left in itunes where it says Library, in the music section and when you click the tones section you should be able to see it there. Once you have all the tones there, you can click on your device, go to the tones tab and check whichever tones you with to sync and click apply

Thanks, iMarilina ... I will try that. I've been trying to drag it directly to the Tones folder, and it doesn't work.

iMarilina --

Thanks so much for trying to help, but it's still not working. I have tried dragging the m4r files into "Library," into "Music", and into "Tones". Nothing happens. All drag, no drop. In fact the entire Library section in the upper left seems to be dimmed. I can't drag anything to it--although I have no problem playing what's already there.

Any ideas why iTunes isn't working right on my computer (Dell Latitude D630, running Windows XP)? I wish Apple would come up with a way of directly synching your devices that ndidn't involve going through iTunes, which is a really poor, counter-intuitive, and user-unfriendly application.

I don't understand why it is greyed out. Simply double clicking the .m4r file should add it to your library. Do you have the latest version of iTunes...?

Make sure your ringtones are in the ringtones part of iTunes. Then click on your device in iTunes you should then see a few tabs on the top of your cover page that displays all the info on your device.

On the top of that page you should see tabs saying music, videos, ringtones etc… click on the one that says ringtones then u should see a box that says sync ringtones click it and bam that should do it…

Thanks to iMarilina, iGaz, and Pringles for trying to help. Nothing is working the way you say it should, so my only thought is that perhaps some setting is keeping iTunes from doing what it is supposed to do on my computer. It is a Dell Latitude laptop, running Windows XP. I also run, among other things, RealPlayer, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and VCL. Is it possible that a setting for one or more of these other media players, or a setting for iTunes, is preventing me from being able to use iTunes for ringtones, because some other application is over-riding it as a default or something? Can anyone suggest where I should look to make sure all of my iTunes settings are correct, nothing is turned off that should be on, etc.? This is really frustrating, and even the guys at the Apple Store are clueless.