What's new

Restoring jailbreak iphone 4 4.2.8

kp1387

Reaction score
Ok well I'm trying to restore the jailbreak on my phone. I'm running 4.2.8 and yes I have my shsh blobs saved. What I'm interested in is what actions do I need to take to restore my jailbreak. I first jailbroke my phone using jailbreakme method but I have since got a new Mac and I'm wanting to jailbreak my phone with it now. I have downloaded pwnage tool, 4.2.8 ipsw, and the 4.2.8 bundles. Can somebody plz give me some directions on how to go about in restoring to jailbreak on my phone so that I don't royally screw myself in the process. TIA ladies and fellas :)

Jmills87 said:
If you are already jailbroken with jailbreakme why would you want to jailbreak again?

Well I'm having some problems with my phone acting up and I'd really just like to get everything working right on my phone again

Ok so you have put the 4.2.8 pwnage bundles into the contents of the pwnage tool application? Have you created your custom 4.2.8 firmware with Pwnage Tool yet? Also you are using Pwnage Tool 4.2 not 4.3 correct?

Ok well I'm trying to restore the jailbreak on my phone. I'm running 4.2.8 and yes I have my shsh blobs saved. What I'm interested in is what actions do I need to take to restore my jailbreak. I first jailbroke my phone using jailbreakme method but I have since got a new Mac and I'm wanting to jailbreak my phone with it now. I have downloaded pwnage tool, 4.2.8 ipsw, and the 4.2.8 bundles. Can somebody plz give me some directions on how to go about in restoring to jailbreak on my phone so that I don't royally screw myself in the process. TIA ladies and fellas :)

If you are already jailbreak at the moment, why do you want to restore and jailbreak it again using pwntune? Actually you can't restore your phone to factory setting and be on that same iOS 4.2.8, iTunes will force you to upgrade to the latest version of iOS available, and this is despite you have save you SHSH. I will advice you to stay away from restoring, unless you are not afraid of staying on the stuck iOS.

Jmills87 said:
Ok so you have put the 4.2.8 pwnage bundles into the contents of the pwnage tool application? Have you created your custom 4.2.8 firmware with Pwnage Tool yet? Also you are using Pwnage Tool 4.2 not 4.3 correct?

No I haven't done any if this yet. I had to download the 4.2.8 ipsw again cuz the one o downloaded previously was lost on my computer swap

bab2010 said:
If you are already jailbreak at the moment, why do you want to restore and jailbreak it again using pwntune? Actually you can't restore your phone to factory setting and be on that same iOS 4.2.8, iTunes will force you to upgrade to the latest version of iOS available, and this is despite you have save you SHSH. I will advice you to stay away from restoring, unless you are not afraid of staying on the stuck iOS.

So there's no way to restore a new jailbreak on my iPhone at all

bab2010 said:

So there's no way to restore a new jailbreak on my iPhone at all

You try anything like restoring and you will be pushed to the most recent iOS available. Try it if you want to see it for your self. Whatever you do, I promise you that you will never be on you present iOS anymore at least not in anytime soon.

bab2010 said:
You try anything like restoring and you will be pushed to the most recent iOS available. Try it if you want to see it for your self. Whatever you do, I promise you that you will never be on you present iOS anymore at least not in anytime soon.

I was under the impression that if I had my SHSH blobs saved then I would be able to restore a fresh jailbreak to my phone no problem since I never upgraded to 4.2.10

Jmills87 said:

And yea I downloaded pwnage tool 4.2 if that means anything now lol

Right-click pwnage tool and select "show package contents" then go to contents>resources>firmwarebundles and drag and drop the 4.2.8 firmware bundle into there. Then open pwnage tool and select iPhone4 and then go to expert mode and browse to your 4.2.8 file.

On the next screen click "build IPSW" and tell it to save the custom firmware to your desktop. Then if it doesn't do it automatically go to the "DFU" tab and follow the instructions to get into Pwned-DFU mode. When it's done creating the custom firmware and you are in Pwned-DFU mode, open TinyUmbrella and click "start TSS server" and then open iTunes and hold down the option key and click restore. Then select the CUSTOM 4.2.8 firmware file from your desktop.

Jmills87 said:
Right-click pwnage tool and select "show package contents" then go to contents>resources>firmwarebundles and drag and drop the 4.2.8 firmware bundle into there. Then open pwnage tool and select iPhone4 and then go to expert mode and browse to your 4.2.8 file.

On the next screen click "build IPSW" and tell it to save the custom firmware to your desktop. Then if it doesn't do it automatically go to the "DFU" tab and follow the instructions to get into Pwned-DFU mode. When it's done creating the custom firmware and you are in Pwned-DFU mode, open TinyUmbrella and click "start TSS server" and then open iTunes and hold down the option key and click restore. Then select the CUSTOM 4.2.8 firmware file from your desktop.

So this will work in my situation? Cuz that other fella is very content that there's nothing I can do

Jmills87 said:
Ya, he doesn't know what he's talking about, as long as you have your SHSH for 4.2.8 it will work just fine

Ok well I tried doing what you said in you last post and when I try and find the ipsw file the only place I can fine it is a copy of the file I have on my desktop. And when I select that file or even the original file I get the error message wrong firmware selected

Edit: I didnt see where you said the bundle not the actual ipsw file. So after I put the bundle in the firmware bundles file I go into expert mode and select the actual ipsw file or the bundle?

Last edited:
Ya, he doesn't know what he's talking about, as long as you have your SHSH for 4.2.8 it will work just fine

Who doesn't know what I'm talking about? Me? Isn't that a Verizon phone? Have you tried what you saying? Have you tried to downgrade from any higher version to iOS 4.2.8? Anyway if he isn't afraid of stock iOS then why not try? I might be wrong though.