What's new

Restoring and using iCloud question.

chunky

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sadly my iphone 4 was stolen today !

02 have blocked it, i have used findmyiphone to lock and remote wipe the handset and they are sending me a new payg micro sim with my detais ported onto it.

I now have an iphone 4s bought from 02.

Questions are :

My iphone 4 was jailbroken so i dont want to use the saved backups in itunes.
Is it worth going into preferences within iTunes and delete the backups.

Will i be able to set up my 4s as new and then start restoring from icloud and then sync to my itunes library to put my apps/tunes etc onto the new 4s ?

chunky said:
Hi All,

Sadly my iphone 4 was stolen today !

02 have blocked it, i have used findmyiphone to lock and remote wipe the handset and they are sending me a new payg micro sim with my detais ported onto it.

I now have an iphone 4s bought from 02.

Questions are :

My iphone 4 was jailbroken so i dont want to use the saved backups in itunes.
Is it worth going into preferences within iTunes and delete the backups.

Will i be able to set up my 4s as new and then start restoring from icloud and then sync to my itunes library to put my apps/tunes etc onto the new 4s ?

Was your iPhone jailbrokem when u made the iCloud Backup?

No.

Would that have had a bearing on this ?

chunky said:
No.

Would that have had a bearing on this ?

Well i was jus gonna say if your icloud backup was while you were jailbroken, then dont restore to that. But you will be fine restoring an ivloud backup

Can I ask, what's the problem with restoring to a backup done while jailbroken?

Yeah i was wondering that.

Normally via iTunes a back up that has been carried out by a jailbroken phone is then not normally used by someone deciding to restore back to stock so the jailbroken files do not get uploaded back and is a true clean restore. A user would choose a backup prior to jail breaking.

i thought iCloud just held your selected data such as music,calendar,notes etc in an apple server in case of you needing to replace your lost data or upgrading so being jailbroken would not have a bearing !

Can anyone clarify ?

It is not wise to restore from jailbroken backup because when the device gets backed up, so does some of the jailbreak data.

This can cause problems after jailbreaking and installing tweaks again. Some of the files may conflict with any tweaks that may be installed.

It is wise to *Never* restore from *any* type of backup when the reason you are restoring is to resolve a problem.

Common sense if ya ask me. Pretty self explanatory.

zig9449 said:
It is not wise to restore from jailbroken backup because when the device gets backed up, so does some of the jailbreak data.

This can cause problems after jailbreaking and installing tweaks again. Some of the files may conflict with any tweaks that may be installed.

It is wise to *Never* restore from *any* type of backup when the reason you are restoring is to resolve a problem.

Common sense if ya ask me. Pretty self explanatory.

+1. When i jailbreak, i make a backup before. When i restore, i restore the backup from begore the jailbreak.

chunky said:
Yeah i was wondering that.

Normally via iTunes a back up that has been carried out by a jailbroken phone is then not normally used by someone deciding to restore back to stock so the jailbroken files do not get uploaded back and is a true clean restore. A user would choose a backup prior to jail breaking.

i thought iCloud just held your selected data such as music,calendar,notes etc in an apple server in case of you needing to replace your lost data or upgrading so being jailbroken would not have a bearing !

Can anyone clarify ?

Icloud backs up jailbroken data too