What's new

Restore?

HUNTER1

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken 4s on 5.0.1 that is out of contract. Can I still restore this to factory? If so, how do I do it? thanks

You can always restore a device to factory regardless of whether you're on contract or not, at least until the iPhone falls off. Download the latest iOS either through iTunes or through the stickies here on iPhoneForums, connect your iPhone to your computer, put it into DFU mode, open up iTunes, go to your iPhone's tab, shift+click Restore and point it to the IPSW you've downloaded. If you want to restore to another iOS 5 or restore back to iOS 5.0.1, you'll need the SHSH blobs that correspond to those iOS's in order to do so. Otherwise, your only option is iOS 6.0.1

I did everything as willerz2 said. I put iPhone in pwned DFU mode (tried in regular DFU as well), launched iTunes, chose the 6.0.1. which I downloaded previously and after waiting for more than 10 minutes I got 1601 error.

Could you please help me? I tried many ways, including restoring jailbroken iP4 to 5.1.1. but I thought that simple restore to the newest software would do the trick. I'm out of ideas...

I think you should try to redownload the 6.0.1 version but of course you'd lose your jailbreak

160X errors are computer related errors. Remove the driver and reboot, then plug your iPhone in again to install the driver again. If that doesn't work, try another computer.

I tried on another computer but it didn't work.
Surprisingly, when I put the iPhone in DFU mode using iReb and kept it running during restore (with notification that I entered DFU mode) it worked. I really don't know how something like this could help but it did.