What's new

Restore 4S without upgrading

Liker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am having some problems with my iPhone 4S and I wanted to restore it but since iOS 5.1 came out I don't know what to do to restore to iOS 5.0.1 because I would like to jailbreak my device again.

I hope somebody can help me an thanks in advance :)

Hey I have the same problem with my iPhone 4, I was told to try installing RecoveryGuard off cydia. It fools iTunes into thinking that your current software 5.0.1 is the latest one. To install it you will have to add a new cydia source. It's

http://cydia.pushfix.info/

Tell me how you go with that

well that's kind of problematic for me because my cydia app is broken , that's actually the reason i want to restore so I can't add this source :S

Hey I have the same problem with my iPhone 4, I was told to try installing RecoveryGuard off cydia. It fools iTunes into thinking that your current software 5.0.1 is the latest one. To install it you will have to add a new cydia source. It's

http://cydia.pushfix.info/

Tell me how you go with that

I have a question on this recovery guard. I installed the source and read what it does. Sounds to me that if you do a restore you still lose your jail brake.

What I understand this tweak to do basically prevents iTunes from asking to upgrade all the time to prevent accidentally selecting yes to upgrade to new software. But a restore would take this tweak off and you would have to put the new software back on as that's the only choice you have.

What I understand this tweak to do basically prevents iTunes from asking to upgrade all the time to prevent accidentally selecting yes to upgrade to new software. But a restore would take this tweak off and you would have to put the new software back on as that's the only choice you have.

That is the way I understand it as well. Yes, you'll lose your jailbreak with ANY restore but RecoveryGuard supposedly allows you to restore back to 5.0.1 instead of 5.1, so you CAN reinstall your jb. I can't recall the name but there is also an app (for purchase) that stores your jb app in a cloud or online that recovers all of your jb app as well. Supposedly saves a lot of time after a restore.

I have a question on this recovery guard. I installed the source and read what it does. Sounds to me that if you do a restore you still lose your jail brake.

That is the way I understand it as well. Yes, you'll lose your jailbreak with ANY restore but RecoveryGuard supposedly allows you to restore back to 5.0.1 instead of 5.1, so you CAN reinstall your jb. I can't recall the name but there is also an app (for purchase) that stores your jb app in a cloud or online that recovers all of your jb app as well. Supposedly saves a lot of time after a restore.

No, Recovery Guard does NOT allow you to restore back to iOS 5.0.1. All it does is change a small piece of coding in your phone so that iTunes thinks you are on iOS 5.1 (so it wont keep telling you to upgrade). That is ALL it does.

If you restore a 4S, it WILL restore to iOS 5.1, which is the current, signed firmware from Apple. There is no other iOS you can put on a 4S - you either leave it at 5.0.1 or you put it on 5.1. And, once an iPhone 4S has 5.1 loaded on it, that is the only iOS you can have. You CANNOT downgrade and will be "stuck" with an unjail-breakable at this time) firmware.

So, locker, what is the issue you are having? maybe we can help fix it versus restoring it. because, to repeat, a restore for a jail broken iOS 5.0.1 running 4S is the LAST step you want to do in solving a jail break problem. it's what you do when you've given up hope and have to abandon any/all jail breaking.

Marilyn

No, Recovery Guard does NOT allow you to restore back to iOS 5.0.1. All it does is change a small piece of coding in your phone so that iTunes thinks you are on iOS 5.1 (so it wont keep telling you to upgrade). That is ALL it does.

If you restore a 4S, it WILL restore to iOS 5.1, which is the current, signed firmware from Apple. There is no other iOS you can put on a 4S - you either leave it at 5.0.1 or you put it on 5.1. And, once an iPhone 4S has 5.1 loaded on it, that is the only iOS you can have. You CANNOT downgrade and will be "stuck" with an unjail-breakable at this time) firmware.

So, locker, what is the issue you are having? maybe we can help fix it versus restoring it. because, to repeat, a restore for a jail broken iOS 5.0.1 running 4S is the LAST step you want to do in solving a jail break problem. it's what you do when you've given up hope and have to abandon any/all jail breaking.

Marilyn

You're correct- but you already knew that :p

I went and looked again and here's what it actually says in the pic.

$photo.jpg

So what is the restore they mention from DFU mode? Is that really just another type of hard reset then?

So what if I wanted to restore my iPhone 4 back to my current version which is 5.0.1. Can I do that and re jailbreak? Thanks

Hi guys,

I am having some problems with my iPhone 4S and I wanted to restore it but since iOS 5.1 came out I don't know what to do to restore to iOS 5.0.1 because I would like to jailbreak my device again.

I hope somebody can help me an thanks in advance :)

First of all backup your phone via itunes. Even if its on a loop screen (constant loading apple logo screen) you can still backup when connected to itunes. Once done, disconnect from pc. Make sure your sim card is out now and that any networks for wifi that its connected to are turned off. Easy option is to just turn your wirless router off so your phone doesn't connect to wifi. 1. Go to settings 2. Go to general 3. Go to the bottom of page to reset 4. Click Erase all content and settings. This will restore your iPhone 4s back to factory settings and wipe everything off without updating to 5.1 and you can then jailbreak again over that fresh install of 5.0.1

Let me know how you get on. And please reply as i took my time to write this out to help you. I'd appreciate it. Good Luck.

THIS HAS WORKED FOR OTHERS. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU TOO.

Last edited:
javaid said:
First of all backup your phone via itunes. Even if its on a loop screen (constant loading apple logo screen) you can still backup when connected to itunes. Once done, disconnect from pc. Make sure your sim card is out now and that any networks for wifi that its connected to are turned off. Easy option is to just turn your wirless router off so your phone doesn't connect to wifi. 1. Go to settings 2. Go to general 3. Go to the bottom of page to reset 4. Click Erase all content and settings. This will restore your iPhone 4s back to factory settings and wipe everything off without updating to 5.1 and you can then jailbreak again over that fresh install of 5.0.1

Let me know how you get on. And please reply as i took my time to write this out to help you. I'd appreciate it. Good Luck.

THIS HAS WORKED FOR OTHERS. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU TOO.

Can anyone verify that this works? And that you re-synced with iTunes afterwards and got all contacts, photos, etc.. while still staying at 5.0.1?
Furthermore, we're you able to re-jailbreak afterwards?

Thanks for the advice, however I'm not risking my 4S jailbreak until I hear back from someone who's successfully done this method. I waited october-January for a jailbreak :( can't do it again

Last time I checked the "erase all settings and content" does not work on a jailbroken device, and results in a boot loop.

But that's with iP4. I don't know about 4S.

zig9449 said:
Last time I checked the "erase all settings and content" does not work on a jailbroken device, and results in a boot loop.

Thanks for the update, not trying this method

You are probably correct but im going by this post on this site...

[Moderator edit: Removed link to external iPhone-related site. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

So someone who's gonna update anyway should try this method before giving up and let us know how you get on. If it doesn't work then just restore via iTunes

Last edited by a moderator:

Same things happens on my 4s.