What's new

Replaced screen with non Apple screen, went to update version and it won't update or restore!

Smw966

Reaction score
a few months ago I replaced a cracked screen with one off amazon, it worked fine afterwards. However this week the Carrier disappeared so couldn't use phone.

EE said I needed to update iTunes and it would come back. I did this and it kept faulting saying it was not possible, so I tried to restore factory factory settings. It wouldn't do that either and now will only show a picture when turned on, showing the lead and arrow and to connect to iTunes. Which I can do but it just fails at the last bit of downloading onto the phone.

Apple explained today that because i put on a non Apple screen the phone won't work...

Is there a way around this or have I killed my phone? CoUld I buy an apple screen and replace again?

Thanks for any help

Thanks JA but I tried that, it literally won't do anything. My only option I'm wondering is if I buy an apple screen to replace my Amazon non Apple screen, then maybe it will progress?

Apple man said its shut down because the screen is detected as non Apple...

No idea if that's possible, sorry!
I've heard from other members who replaced their iPhone's screens successfully, but I don't think they all used Apple screens.

Maybe this site will help:
iFixit The Free Repair Manual

You'll find tutorials there, you'll get the parts you need, and there's also a forum where you can ask for help, if something goes wrong.

Last edited: