What's new

Replace iphone 4 camera with 4s

kobelup

Reaction score
Wondered if I could replace my iPhone 4 camera with a 4s camera. I would really love the 8 megapixel camera. Just a thought.

Don't really know.
You mean just the lens?
There are slightly small problems such as opening the glass part of the lens.
Taking the lens out.
Replacing the lens.
Connecting wires up.
Gluing the wires & lens.
Gluing back the glass without (Damaging).
Screw lens parts back in.

kobelup said:
Wondered if I could replace my iPhone 4 camera with a 4s camera. I would really love the 8 megapixel camera. Just a thought.

I think it's not a straight swap, the software is likely the issue. Tbh the camera in the ip4 is so good IMHO i'd ask is it worth the hassle?

there is more to it than just the lens. but it can be done for $600 - $800

I would have someone at mactown do the work. Not sure if the software would be a problem, good thought though. I use my camera so much and would love to have the 8 megapixel, I don't have to have the newest phone. I'm holding out for the 5.

I repair these things for a living but I am a new user of the iphone. Usually hardware is not interchange able. Only hardware interchange able is stuff like the batterry in SOME cases and the battery cover. As for camera it would be software and hardware and who knows if the connector is the same.

For example in iphone 3G and 3GS the digitizer and LCD connectors were different. Also the camera was shaped differently. I would imagine it is the same here.
I will be testing this theory soon how ever because I am curious so I will keep you updated. If I do it I will upload a video on my youtube channel demonstrating the attempt. Link to my channel is techguyz708's Channel - YouTube

It isn't possible. I'll list the major issues.

1) CCD size. The difference between a 5 megapixel and 8 megapixel camera is huge. You have to have the code in place to address all the pixels.

2) CCD scan rate. The new Sony CCD actually scans FASTER than the older 5 megapixel CCD. So the iPhone 4 scanning software is simply to slow.

3) Focusing. The new system requires a new algorithm for auto focus.

4) Interface cable. If memory serves, they are not pin compatible but I could be wrong on this one point.

I repair these things for a living but I am a new user of the iphone. Usually hardware is not interchange able. Only hardware interchange able is stuff like the batterry in SOME cases and the battery cover. As for camera it would be software and hardware and who knows if the connector is the same.

For example in iphone 3G and 3GS the digitizer and LCD connectors were different. Also the camera was shaped differently. I would imagine it is the same here.
I will be testing this theory soon how ever because I am curious so I will keep you updated. If I do it I will upload a video on my youtube channel demonstrating the attempt. Link to my channel is techguyz708's Channel - YouTube

Easy, sell the 4 and buy the 4S.