What's new

Rehashing the 3GS upgrade issues

jostgirly

Reaction score
First, my apologies for bringing up this subject yet again. I think my issue is a common one, but not totally sure, so I'm laying it all out here again...

I purchased a 3GS over a year ago - brand new, unlocked and jailbroken. I don't really know what the difference is between unlocked and jailbroken, and just today got conflicting definitions from staff at Apple Store and AT&T. Regardless, I purchased the phone so that I could use it in Costa Rica, where I live.

A month ago, I got the bright idea to use the phone as a hotspot so I could eliminate my internet provider and just get internet service through my cell carrier, Kolbi. I waited till I got to the States for Christmas before doing the IMEI unlock and the firmware upgrade - just in case there was a problem. I explained to the rep at AT&T that I was requesting the unlock for the purposes stated above and was VERY CLEAR about the previous unlock and jailbroken status of the phone. The rep assured me that there would be "absolutely no problem" and that I should go home, hook up to iTunes and install the upgrade. BIG MISTAKE.

I've been getting the "server unavailable" error, and after reading tons of stuff on the web, and certain this has to do with the phone getting bricked (a term I really don't understand!!!) due to the jailbreak.

So, my question is this: I can't get through the activation phase. I can't do anything with the phone - as the only screens it will go to is the apple screen, and the only thing it will do is repeatedly go thru the activation process, only to fail every time. I've done it in DFU mode, etc. No difference. Is there anything I can do to save this phone???

Apple says it can't do anything with it, and AT&T is washing their hands of it ("its a hardware issue, not our fault"). Thank you one and all for any input!

Last edited:
We're going to have to manually double check everything to make sure our current situation. First off, we need to find which model of the 3GS you're using, old or new bootrom. Check the model number. If it's MB, it's an old bootrom. If it's MC, it's the new bootrom. Then let's try restoring our iPhone to a stock iOS 6.0.1. We're going to need to download our 3GS' iOS 6.0.1 IPSW here

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/041-7949.20121101.Ortn5/iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw

Now, from what I'm reading, we're having the activation loop. Open up iTunes, put your iPhone into DFU mode, and restore again. Assuming your iPhone was successfully unlocked, after the restore process, you should be getting a "Congratulations" message at the very end.

If that's not the case, then your iPhone isn't unlocked, because a carrier uses an IMEI unlock, similar to the one you can buy online for a few dollars or so, so the message is the same whether if it's from an online seller or from a carrier. If you don't get a "Congratulations" message after the restore, you're going to need to use RedSn0w to unlock your iPhone. Download RedSn0w version 0.9.15 beta 3 here

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Then download this, which is the iOS 6.0 IPSW for the 3GS here

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/Restore/041-7173.20120919.sDDMh/iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw

Run it as administrator, go to Extras > Select IPSW. Point it to the iOS 6.0 IPSW. 6.0, not 6.0.1. Six point zero. Press back after selecting it, then click Jailbreak. Check Install Cydia, Flash/Install iPad Baseband (old bootrom) AND Deactivate. After it's done jailbreaking, you shouldn't have to go through the activation process, and you'll be straight at the Springboard.

Then you'll have to get UltraSn0w and the iOS 6 fixer for UltraSn0w.

Thanks, Willerz2. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't have the phone with me right now to check the model of the 3GS. I found a place that says they can fix it. THey will do a factory unlock, vs a IMEI unlock, basically restoring the phone to its original state. Hope that's true! I'll know more in the morning, as I just dropped it off around 8 pm.

If the problem isn't fixed, then I'll begin the process you laid out in your reply. Will keep this thread updated with my results. Thanks again!