What's new

Random note on iPhone 5S

DanSkittles

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was given this iPhone 5S secondhand, it was reformatted. So a few weeks ago I found a strange note in my notes app. I was really confused as I have no idea where it came from and 100% sure it wasn't something I wrote. At first I wondered if the iPhone was hacked or I caught a virus, so I tried looking everywhere to find a reason for this happening, and I found a few that say their iPhone had a virus or was hacked, but some have also said it could have something to do with iCloud.
I went into settings on the iPhone and for a split second their was someone's name on the iCloud account, then it disappeared, so I believe it was still logged into their iCloud account, please tell me this has happened to someone else!
This is really important to me, so is really appreciate if someone could help me understand this.

As far as I know, the 5s came with iOS 7. If the iPhone was still logged into their iCloud account, you should have noticed that when setting it up.

Either the account still would have been there, and in this case your device would have asked for the previous owner's passcode and/or password, or, if Find my iPhone was enabled, this would have locked you out of the iPhone.

When you get an iPhone which is reformatted or new, you have to set it up with your Apple ID.

I think there's something to do with the iCloud. I once have the similar issue with my iPad and my iPhone. My iPad sometimes can get iMessages that are sent to my iPhone until I completely deleted the iCloud account on my iPad. And I also heard that it's highly recommended the buyer for a secondhand iPhone had better ask the seller to remove the device from the original Find my iPhone account, or the seller can lock the iPhone any time in the future. :confused:

I think there's something to do with the iCloud. I once have the similar issue with my iPad and my iPhone. My iPad sometimes can get iMessages that are sent to my iPhone until I completely deleted the iCloud account on my iPad. And I also heard that it's highly recommended the buyer for a secondhand iPhone had better ask the seller to remove the device from the original Find my iPhone account, or the seller can lock the iPhone any time in the future. :confused:

This is what makes me think it has something to do with iCloud, I'm the only one who uses the iPhone, nobody else, and I don't know the history on the phone either.

This is what makes me think it has something to do with iCloud, I'm the only one who uses the iPhone, nobody else, and I don't know the history on the phone either.
Did you set it up as new when you received it?

I didn't set it up it was given to me as is.
That's weird. Was your information already stored on it? Was your Apple ID entered when you received it?
Does this mean that you received the iPhone and didn't set it up for yourself, but someone else did it?

If it was erased/reformatted, you shouldn't have received it ready for usage.

Last edited:
I didn't

set it up it was given to me as is.
That's weird. Was your information already stored on it? Was your Apple ID entered when you received it?
Does this mean that you received the iPhone and didn't set it up for yourself, but someone else did it?

If it was erased/reformatted, you shouldn't have received it ready for usage.

I didn't say I put my Apple ID in to it, it was given to me and I used it, I have no music on here or anything,

Then it wasn't erased, and is still connected to someone else's Apple ID and/or iCloud account.

If it was erased correctly, you'd have to set it up with your information when you turn it on for the first time.

That's not possible, especially since iOS 7. Either it was erased or it wasn't. There are just these two options.

Erase all content and settings will remove every information from the iDevice, and iTunes (computer) will do the same.

A few questions: in Settings - iCloud, do you find an email address there? If so: Did you enter it, or was it there when you received it? Is Find my iPhone enabled?

Last edited: