What's new

Question Regarding Encryption And File Recovery

hopeimsecure

Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all I'd like to say I do not have a tech background so I apologize if there's something obvious I don't understand.

I recently broke my jailbroken iPhone 6+ and am preparing to send it back in to be replaced by the insurer. I can not do anything on the phone, but it does turn on and I've been able to restore it back to factory settings, unjailbreaking it and updating it to whatever the most recent firmware is.

My concern is that I am paranoid and do not want any data (including files that were previously deleted) recoverable by anyone. I do not know if insurance companies fix these and then resell them or what, but I want to make sure nothing is recoverable.

It is my understanding that iPhone data is encrypted, and when the iPhone is restored, the encryption key is destroyed and even if the data were recovered, it would be unreadable because it would be unable to be decrypted. Is this correct? Does this include deleted files (pictures, documents messages?)

I have tried overwriting all the free space but it is difficult because the phone is unusable and my computer only allows me to sync directly after a restore. I can usually fill 70 of the 128gb up before my computer freezes and I have to restore again and start over.

Anyway I was just wondering if I should have any concerns about anything being able to be recovered, even if I'm unable to overwrite all of the free space.

Thank you so much for your time!

For iOS Data Recovery, as I've worked on this before, even with Androids.

Whenever I have a client who walks in and inquires about Recovering the files from either an iPod/iPad/iPhone, I always ask them if they've backed up their files in iTunes or in their iCloud. Yes, we can recover directly from the iDevices but that's not a guarantee that we can get anything from it.

Now, it takea days to really analyze data because we need to know where the problem started.

If the client was unable to backup from their devices, iTunes and icloud, then we can't get anything.

If they're able to back them up using itunes and icloud, we're going to need the Apple ID and the Password to allow us to recover them. It's like asking permission.

Worst cases i've handled were iDevices weren't backed up.

If they've restored the device to factory default, always remember that there are patches in between and the moment that the OS have reinstalled everything on that device, there's a 50/50 chance you can get anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the response, but the end confused me a bit.

Assuming nothing at all was backed up, what is the likelihood files (including previously deleted files prior to restore) could be recovered? I have read that on iOS 8+ most files are encrypted by default so regardless if the files are still there they should not be readable right?

If you want 100% security against the Feds snooping into your iPhone there are some things you must do or not do.

You can never ever use iCloud for anything. It must be disabled. This means no "find my iPhone" Loose your iPhone and you'll just have to buy a new one. The price you pay for security....

If you need to do a backup/restore for some reason, use iTunes on a computer with NO internet access. Once you perform a backup / restore, the hard drive must be destroyed. Encrypted backups in iTunes is NOT secure. That's why you physically destroy the HD after any backup/restore.

No jailbreaking the iPhone either. Once jailbroken, back doors are opened.

Never use the fingerprint scanner. Period.

Use a strong lock code password. At least 6 digits long, better is to use a alpha character passcode.

Make sure you set the iPhone to self delete after 10 wrong pass codes.

Never ever use normal text messages, use iMessage. Everyone in your group needs to have an iPhone for this to work. Use FaceTime audio for all phone calls, as its encrypted just like iMessages.

There is not enough electricity generated worldwide to crack the encryption, nor enough computers worldwide to perform the brute force decryption. That's how strong the encryption is on our iPhones.

Thank you, certainly don't need that level of security but it was still interesting to read through.

I suppose it's correct to assume all my files were encrypted and I do not ever have to worry about them being decrypted, so all is good. :)