What's new

Purchased Brand New iPhone 5c (Already activated)

QualityShows

Reaction score
Hi Newbie member here,
I have just received two iPhone 5c purchased from a well known UK TV shopping channel.
These iPhones were advertised as brand new in box / unlocked with 1 years Apple warranty.
Upon beginning to open the sealed box I firstly noticed if I turned the box upside down
it was very clear there was something VERY loose in the box.
After opening the box it became evident one of the iPhones was not securely fixed inside its own protective box and left to rattle around the box-(so I have no idea what damage this may have caused to the loose 5c iPhone. (I have not proceeded any further at this point)
The initial reply from the supplier was return for refund - blah - blah - blah!

Both iPhone plastic boxes are very sticky / grubby and scratched. This is surely not the quality you would expect when you buy two expensive items that are advertised as
BRAND NEW IN BOX !

I then proceeded to check the iPhone box serial numbers on the Apple website.
(One iPhone needs activating and the loose iPhone's technical support and repairs and service coverage has expired)

I really feel I have been duped!
Any help on my next step please?
Should I be contacting trading standards etc.

Thank you for any help...

What you should do right now is ask for a full refund, including the cost to return the iPhones. These iPhones were definitely not as advertised.

Yes thanks for the replies.
The company has offered me a refund or replacement on return etc.

Their returns policy states:
'Please place the iPhone in the original packaging with all supplied accessories and secure the iPhone or device against movement or accidental damage.
NB: any damage caused in transit is not covered by the 14 day money back guarantee
or the device's warranty'

In regards to this policy clause I put to them:
'If you do not accept returns in this state, are you expecting me to accept supposedly brand new iPhones in this state? I say supposedly because the state of the iPhone protective boxes in themselves look well worn and used;
they both are very sticky / grubby and scratched. This is surely not the quality you would expect when you buy two expensive items that are advertised as BRAND NEW IN BOX !
I have enclosed a picture of the opened box which I simply opened and placed the contents on to a work surface (nothing else has been done) This picture has been taken to support my claim that if you received the exact box and contents back I'm sure you would claim it was well used and worn and would not warrant a full refund!'

This is my worry; that they receive these phones back and automatically they think the quality they receive these phones back in is down to me and with hold my refund? What do you guys think?

I have also asked them this question?

Please can I ask do you have any BRAND NEW replacements in? (Please could you guarantee me this - as I do not want to receive two more iPhones in such a poor state.

I await their reply...

Thanks again...

You haven't uploaded a photo. Nevertheless, if you state the reason for the return of phones and pack them securely in a sturdy box, if necessary, they should issue a refund and pay for the carriage costs. I wouldn't ask for an exchange. If they fail to comply, then is the time to talk to Trading Standards.

The uploaded photo text you read was still part of the text I emailed to them...

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for you reply...

I have more than a good idea which shopping channel this is, I have seen them selling refurbished ipad and iPhones in the past and these models were old ones.
You shouldn't have any trouble getting a refund if it's the channel I think it is.
Take photos of everything that they sent you so you have proof of the condition should you need it.

I have more than a good idea which shopping channel this is, I have seen them selling refurbished ipad and iPhones in the past and these models were old ones.
You shouldn't have any trouble getting a refund if it's the channel I think it is.
Take photos of everything that they sent you so you have proof of the condition should you need it.

Thanks for that reply Poisonivy, yes I have taken pictures etc.
I was just wondering I checked the serial numbers of the iPhone plastic cases, how do I find the serial number on the iPhones themselves just to see if they match?

I don't really want to switch any of the iPhones on...

(Just to double check these iPhones)
I have just gone to check the iPhone IMEI numbers of these iPhones at Swappa

The green iPhone 5c results come back same as Apples website 'already activated' and I have just realized the back of the supplied case does not even match the iPhone; the case states PINK ! :mad:

It looks like the seller just mixed up random iPhones and cases and tried to sell them as new. He wasn’t even smart enough to clean the iPhones and boxes.
Selling iPhones Described as new in the box and having them arrive as they did is a form of fraud, in my opinion.