What's new

PSA: Teen Texting on Facebook While Driving Kills 2 and Paves Way to Prison

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Maurers2.jpg

We know we are probably "preaching to the choir" on this subject, but just for the few who might not realize how bad texting and driving really is, here is an abject lesson. Carlee Bollig is a 17-year-old from Little Falls, Minnesota, and her life has basically been ruined by her obstinance and stupidity on this subject. Bollig was driving her pickup truck with friends in the vehicle this past summer. She was texting on Facebook while driving, even when her passengers repeatedly asked her to stop. She profanely and defiantly rebuffed them, saying, "“F*ck off. I don't care if I crash." Moments later, that's exactly what happened.

"Red light! RED LIGHT!!!" her passengers screamed, but it was too late. Bollig ran the red light and barreled into a van crossing the intersection. According to the report, she hadn't even applied her brakes at all. Her decision cost two people their lives; 54-year-old Charles Maurer, and his 10-year-old daughter, Cassy Maurer were killed. It took 10 days for Cassy to die in a hospital.

The only survivors in the van were Cassy’s 16-year-old sister, Alenita, as well as her friend, Alora. Also, Bollig and her passengers survived. At first, Bollig lied and told the officers on site that her boyfriend, Deven Garlock was driving because he was the only one with a valid driver's license. Investigators were able to use DNA evidence to determine what really happened after holes in the stories from the passengers didn't add up.

Bollig now faces two counts of criminal vehicular homicide, criminal vehicular operations, texting while driving, and driving without a valid license. She could face up to 20 years in prison for the vehicular homicide alone. Please remember, don't ever be in the least bit tempted to text while driving. It can wait the few minutes longer for you to get to your destination. If it is an emergency, just pull off somewhere and stop your vehicle in a parking lot or other safe location away from traffic. The price of this mistake is far too high!

Source: StarTribune

This kind of stuff angers me, every day I see people texting a driving.

I literally just watched a postal Service truck run a red light (full speed) yesterday, not sure If texting or not.

Pay attention people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk