What's new

Proper way to charge the iphone

aplfansince85

Reaction score
I know this may sound silly but I have searched the forum and user guide and can't find anything that answers my question. On previous phones I've had when the battery gets low you turn off the phone and put it on the charger right? Not the iphone after plugging it in, it turns itself back on. This poses two problems. One is my personal experience and I have read that turning off the device allows a more efficient charge and second, is rebooting the phone. I don't know if a daily reboot is necessary or not but I was just wondering what right way to charge the phone is. Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

Lots of useful info in this thread,

When should you charge your iPhone 4?

From my experience you can charge it whenever you like for however long you like and bot affect the battery life. I always put it on charge all night every night regardless of percentage. I've done that will all my iPhones 3G, 3GS and 4G and never noticed much in the way of battery performance loss.

As for it turning itself back on when plugged in, plug it in first then turn it off... ;)

Thanks gaz. I will read the link you posted. As far turning the off after it's plugged in. I tried that and my only concern is it doesn't show the charging screen status. I only hope i left it Plugged in long enough for it to show that screen lol. But as always I appreciate your input.

Thanks gaz. I will read the link you posted. As far turning the off after it's plugged in. I tried that and my only concern is it doesn't show the charging screen status. I only hope i left it Plugged in long enough for it to show that screen lol. But as always I appreciate your input.

It shouldnt take more than about an hour an a half (and thats on a 1% battery) to charge the phone completely. It generally goes about 1% per minute, if thatll help you judge time

I've noticed here lately when I plug my phone into my computer via USB to charge it, I leave it charging all night, wake up and it has stopped charging at 98-99%, not sure why, and this just started. If I use a regular wall charger in the power outlet on the wall it'll charge to 100%

It should show. I've never done it on my 4G but my 3GS defiantly did it. Something I'll need to try tonight...

i charge my phone when the battery is around 3-5 percent. i just leave it for the night on charger and voila - it works pretty fine for 3 days in row with moderate usage

It should show. I've never done it on my 4G but my 3GS defiantly did it. Something I'll need to try tonight...

Tried it and your right is doesn't show. It does however still charge the phone...

Lots of useful info in this thread,

. I've done that will all my iPhones 3G, 3GS and 4G and never noticed much in the way of battery performance loss.

;)

if you have had all those phone in a row,you might not have had them long enough for it to show a difference. i could be wrong,but im pretty sure after 1 1/2 - 2 years it will become more evedent.

now that being said...these new batteries are not the same as the old nickle based ones,and i have read that the "conditioning" of the battery isnt need.

then again i may have made it all up in my delutional MiNd

I had the 3G for 2 years and the battery was just as bad when I sold it as when I first got it. Lol...

I never have problems just charging daily. I can probably go 2-3 days moderate use without a charge though