What's new

Problems with upgrading from 4 to iOs5.1

cminiaci

Reaction score
I backed up my iphone4 to itunes, then clicked the upgrade button. Phone went through the process, synched and then got stuck at the apple logo on phone with progress bar 1/3rd filled. Itunes says its in the process of restoring, but this has been going on for 3 hrs. Will it do irreparable damage if I unplug the USB?

No it will not destroy the iPhone hardware. Have you update your iTunes before start upgrading your iOS? if no, then go ahead and upgrade your iTunes. After that, open iTunes and then connect your iPhone to your computer, iTunes will detect it and you can then upgrade the iOS.

Thank you so much! That was reassuring. About an hour later, the itunes icon showed on my phone screen with a pic of the usb cord and an arrow pointing to the itunes image. itunes had an error message--error 14 which is some type of malfunction with the either the usb cord or port. So I switched to a different port and itunes was able to restore my phone. I was thrilled to see that the phone kept the update! Thank you again for your reply.