What's new

Power button failure!!

Shilee110

Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue?I have had my iphone 5 since January, now all of a sudden my power button hardly works, and if it does I have to press it really hard. I would say 1 out of 10 times pressing it will it work. Never dropped it and no water damage at all, fully protected with a defender case, I'm not happy!!!! My old iPhone 3GS, never had any issues and it still works!!!!

Your iPhone is still under warranty. The first thing you should do is make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple store and have your phone checked out. Hardware problems are certainly covered under warranty. Make sure you back up your phone before you go. If they replace your phone, you can set it up from the backup you made.

I had the same issue a few months back and I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. They switched me out with a new phone and I was out on 15 minutes! No problems since!

We don't have an apple store here where I live unfortunately, I guess I could take it back to the Telus store, it's a drag tho, I'm kinda let down :(

We don't have an apple store here where I live unfortunately, I guess I could take it back to the Telus store, it's a drag tho, I'm kinda let down :(

Possible hardware issue, could be disloged into a different position. How many times a day, estimating do you press the home button and how hard? Continuous strain and handling can cause the home button to operate irregularly and sometimes stop working. As friends told you, more than likely you will have to contact Applecare and acquire their hardware services.

Well, I actually purchased the warranty from best buy when I got my phone and I brought it in, they checked it out and gave me a new phone out of the box, no questions asked, so glad that I had read on here how to use touch screen to lock my screen and do everything that I needed the power button for, thanks guys :)

I have a similar issue. Sometimes it takes two presses of the home button to wake it up. Them it displays the music player like I pressed it twice. The first one does nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it acts like a double tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok finally, it looks like the 8.1 update has corrected all these issues. No more double-tap from a single tap. It was software related after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk