What's new

Possible to keep purchased items off phone?

Joel Mapes

Reaction score
I spent a little bit of time a couple nights ago, syncing the new phone. I couldn't for the life of me, get my purchased videos and songs to not sync. Some of this stuff I don't want on the phone for privacy's sake. I understand it's in the Cloud, but I don't want it on the phone.

In Settings - iTunes & App Store - Show All: are Music and Videos disabled? If you enable them, your iPhone will also show songs/videos that were not downloaded to it.

Well, that almost helped. It removed all movies and music that I didn't want on the phone... EXCEPT a music video. I REALLY want that music video off my phone, and it won't go away!

Well, that almost helped. It removed all movies and music that I didn't want on the phone... EXCEPT a music video. I REALLY want that music video off my phone, and it won't go away!
Have you tried going to music videos and tapping the edit button at the top right, then tap on the X at the top left of the music video you want to delete? You then tap on the delete button in the resulting pop up and your music video should be deleted.
image.jpg

If you don't see this option come back and we'll try something else.

Scifan, I'm assuming you accessed that menu from the default Videos app? If so, how did you get the X to appear? It won't appear for me... unless I'm doing something wrong.

I did access the delete function from the stock videos app. Here's another screenshot, showing the edit button at the top right, tapping that gives me the X at the top left of every video.
image.jpg

If this doesn't work, you could try going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage>Videos, scroll down until you get to the music video in question then swipe it to the left to reveal the delete button, then tap the button to delete the video.
image.jpg

One final note, was this music video purchased through iTunes? Mine was. If it came from somewhere else it may explain your lack of success.

Last edited:
If you synced it to your iPhone using iTunes (computer), this might be the reason that you don't get the x to appear. In that case, you'll have to connect your device to the computer once more and deselect the video. Then it should disappear on your iPhone as well.

Thanks for your reply, but both those tricks didn't work. In fact, it appears the file I want to remove is haunted LOL

Let me explain everything that I've tried.

1. Settings > videos > Show all videos - SWITCHED OFF. This is the most effective method, but doesn't solve the problem. It deletes all purchased movies, TV shows, and music videos EXCEPT the one music video that I want off there. There is no edit button on the top right corner of the videos area inside the default Videos app. The haunted music video that still displays, is kept in the cloud, because the cloud logo appears in the lower right hand corner of that video's thumbnail. The weird thing, is that every other music video that I've purchased, is gone once I've switched off this setting EXCEPT for this one. Very, very weird.

2. Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive - SWITCHED OFF.
3. Settings > iCloud > Backup - SWITCHED OFF.
4. Settings > iTunes & App Store > Show all - music SWITCHED OFF and videos SWITCHED OFF.
5. Settings > Music > Show All Music - SWITCHED OFF.
6. Settings > General > Useage > Manage Storage - MUSIC VIDEO I WANT TO DELETE FROM THIS SECTION IS NOT SHOWING UP AS AVAILABLE TO DELETE.

If you synced it to your iPhone using iTunes (computer), this might be the reason that you don't get the x to appear. In that case, you'll have to connect your device to the computer once more and deselect the video. Then it should disappear on your iPhone as well.
Except that when I synced my phone in the first place, I had already chosen not to sync this video, because I didn't want it. It appears that for some mysterious reason, the cloud wants to continue to show it on my phone :/

Did you try resetting the iPhone? Try pressing and holding the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPhone to restart.

Did you try resetting the iPhone? Try pressing and holding the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPhone to restart.
Just did that, but the music video is still there. Actually, every 2-3 days when I charge the phone, I turn it completely off, so it gets a fresh reboot on a regular basis.

I've made a case number with Apple, and I'll try to talk to them on lunch about this. If my wait time isn't too long.

Oh, well. Wait was way too long for lunch. Never talked to anybody. Won't get another chance until tomorrow evening. If anyone else has any thoughts before then, I'd appreciate it.

Was it the free telephone technical support line that you called? Whenever I've called, I've never had to wait longer than 10-15 minutes.