What's new

Please recommend a good PC Tune-Up software.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco

Reaction score
my home desktop pc has begun to really run slow. it seems to be bogged down or something. the users are my wife, myself, 2 kids and my mother-n-law. i know my mother-n-law spends alot of time on facebook and playing all the facebook games.

can you guys recommend a good utility to clean up this pc and get her back up to speed ? something that will clean the registry also maybe ??

If its Windows. Ccleaner and Defraggler. They are great programs. They are both free and are updated regularly.

I use Auslogics BoostSpeed. It has more tools in it than any other pc cleanup/speedup software suite. It's not free, but you can find pretty good coupons for it online (and there is a free trial). I've used it on several of my relatives' computers, both new and ancient, and there was always a noticeable speed improvement. I'll look for a coupon for you online and will post here if I find one.
By the way, are you sure you don't have any viruses or malware on your PC? Maybe try scanning with the free version of Malwarebytes just in case. Malware can slow you down quite a bit.

Scan using an antivirus such as AVG or Kaspersky (you can get a cheap license key off ebay) and MAlwareBytes. Use Auslogics defrag to defrag ur desktop (it also optimizes ur hard drive as well as defrags). You can also use CCleaner to do a registry cleaner.

Your not going to like my idea but it is the best way tune up a sluggish PC.

Format the C drive and reinstall Windows and all the Drivers. Make sure that everything is up to date, ie, Drivers, Windows and so on. Install your virus protection next and then reinstall all your programs. At this point I would defrag the C drive just to be sure.

I know that it's a complete PITA but an older PC will run quite a bit faster.

Make sure you back up any important documents, files, pictures, videos and what ever else to an external hard drive.

I just did this with a 5 year old laptop and it runs a lot better now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If your on windows, check your windows defender and firewall, then get a version of AVG anti-spyware protection, facebook bring out alot of blips on the computer....

A reformat of a computer should never be considered until the very last moment. It should be the very last option considered. Such a scenario would be where your hard drive is completely crashed, system files are corrupted, and you can't boot into safe mode. I advise all of my friends the same thing. The reason being is why waste time doing a reformat if you know you can do an alternate solution to save your files and your computer. As for old computers running faster....unless you upgrade the parts, I don't know how they can run faster. It all really depends on how good the parts are.

Facebook won't harm you unless you are really computer illiterate and you click on random links and you don't know how to control popups.

Since this thread is close to 2 years old, we will now close it. Most of the members have moved on and have found an answer to this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.