What's new

Please need help with backup

JohnPyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I really need some help with understanding backups and deleting part of it... So I was jailbroken on iOS 8.1 and I downloaded BioProtect but for some reason the tweak got corrupted when I clicked on something while I was on a call... And that jailbreak wasn't really perfect to start with because while doing it on mac it crashed (that's why I'm going to do it on windows next time)... I tried to fix the tweak by resetting it with icleanerpro and it worked but then it got corrupted again... And I couldn't fix it this time... So I restored and then I restored from backup but since I did the backup after the tweak got corrupted it stayed exactly the same! I need to restore from backup... I can't do all the settings all over again for the 100000th time... How can I delete only inside the backup everything that's related to cydia? In order to have an iPhone that's been restored from backup but a fresh jailbreak on it? Please guys I really need help

Hi everyone, I really need some help with understanding backups and deleting part of it... So I was jailbroken on iOS 8.1 and I downloaded BioProtect but for some reason the tweak got corrupted when I clicked on something while I was on a call... And that jailbreak wasn't really perfect to start with because while doing it on mac it crashed (that's why I'm going to do it on windows next time)... I tried to fix the tweak by resetting it with icleanerpro and it worked but then it got corrupted again... And I couldn't fix it this time... So I restored and then I restored from backup but since I did the backup after the tweak got corrupted it stayed exactly the same! I need to restore from backup... I can't do all the settings all over again for the 100000th time... How can I delete only inside the backup everything that's related to cydia? In order to have an iPhone that's been restored from backup but a fresh jailbreak on it? Please guys I really need help
An iTunes backup does not backup anything related to Cydia and jailbreaking, including jailbreak tweaks.

Is the BioProtect app the one available in the App Store? If so, and you were using icleaner pro, a jailbreak tweak, to attempt to fix the app you probably corrupted the app file and possibly more. Have you tried going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage and delete the app from your device. You should then be able to re download the app from your App Store purchased list. Now do a new backup of the iPhone. Restore the iPhone and set it up from this new backup. If this doesn't help, you may have to set up your iPhone as a new iPhone after restoration without using any backup.

The BioProtect app is a cydia tweak actually, I'm sorry if I didn't explain that correctly... The backup doesn't backup the tweaks in theirselves but it does backup the settings and that's what I was attempting to erase with icleanerpro, I was attempting to reset the tweak (BioProtect) so that when I installed it again or when I'd go again in settings it'd be brand new as if I've just downloaded it in a just bought not restored from backup device. The first time I succeeded deleting lib(something... I can't remember what was written after lib) but the second time it didn't work and I deleted virtually everything there was in icleaner... I went as some guides on the net advised in the plus symbol below then preferences and then I just deleted virtually everything there but the weird bug was still there and nothing was actually reset even after several restrings/reboots

Since your problems involve a jailbroken iPhone, I've moved this thread to the iPhone Jailbreaking Forum where it will receive more attention.

It's hard to target jailbreak specific data in backups and such since they're buried and often times, if you're editing anything outside of settings, preferences and SMS , it'll corrupt your backup. Best thing to do is to restore the backup and run ILEX RAT to remove just Cydia items, then manually reinstall them

It's hard to target jailbreak specific data in backups and such since they're buried and often times, if you're editing anything outside of settings, preferences and SMS , it'll corrupt your backup. Best thing to do is to restore the backup and run ILEX RAT to remove just Cydia items, then manually reinstall them

I've actually ended up making a fresh restore and I've actually lost some important data but I found out that for some reason the tweak just stops working... I can't really understand why... Thank you very much though for this most useful information... Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that if I were to run ILEX RAT and use it to remove all that's related to Cydia it wouldn't just "uninstall" all tweaks but it'd remove every single thing that's connected to them? So It does even more than I can by manually uninstalling (which doesn't work because it saves the settings of the tweak, is this right?

You should be able to differentiate between the two. One option deletes everything Cydia related, while the other allows you to just remove settings and preferences of Cydia packages, so yes it does a bit more than manual uninstallations because it completely purges the directories in root, whereas in most cases when you manually uninstall, the directory with preferences and cache are still there even though its uninstalled, and if you install the package again, if you're having preference or setting issues, you'll see them again