What's new

Please help or else it is going back and I don't think I want it to go back

moparharn

Reaction score
My new Iphone 4S will not auto resize the web forums I visit most, as well as many internet sites including Apple sites. When the text is too small to read I double tap which only increases the size a little. My only option to read the web page is to pinch to zoom, when I pinch to zoom the web page goes outside of the margins of the screen causing me to have to scroll left and right as well as up and down. I cannot believe that the iphone does not allow me to create text large enough to read that still auto sizes into the margins. This was never an issue on Android. This is a total show stopper for me. I like the smaller size of the Iphone, but only if I can read hassle free. Bill

Switch to back to Android then.

Simply put both phones use the same exact baseline Safari render engine for browsing. The only difference is Apple hasn't added the code to reflow the text at the new zoom size. Why they have not done this after 2 years of complaints from customers is beyond me. But I have given up on that feature ever being added.

HOLY COW!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I thought this was going to be a simple fix on something I failed to understand. No offense, but I sure hope you are wrong. How the heck could you sell a phone that cannot be properly viewed while browsing? This can't be. It is like saying you can dial out , but you won't be able to hear who you are calling.

I spent 13 months using a Motorola Droid A855 as my daily phone prior to switching to the iPhone 4 for the last 7 months (now an iPhone 4S). As a programmer that has web pages used by my iPhone and Android users, I am very familiar with both phones capabilities. I can assure you that I am not incorrect at all. And I only recommend Android under two conditions.

1) Reflowing text after a zoom.

2) You want the latest hardware fad. IE bigger camera, memory or clock speed.

So I will have to zoom then scroll left and right and up and down? I'll go batsh*t doing that. I can't see the letters unless I zoom. There is no setting I can change to make the text bigger? Or a setting to enlarge the double tap? I was really starting to like this thing. Bill

Give me a few minutes to play with all the settings. Maybe I have missed something for the last seven months.

Iv just ordered 4s,i dont want to have this problem either,my eye sights not the best

I have confirmed that their is no setting that allows the text to be enlarged in the browser. But iOS 5 does have one interesting feature that might help you mitigate the issue. You can select a block of text in the browser and select speak so it reads it to you. That is the best I could come up with at present.

I read in another forum that browsers called Dolphin and Opera might resize the text for me when Safari won't. What do you think of this? Will they do it, and is there much of a downside? Thanks for all of your help. Bill

I have tested three browsers quickly. Dolphin, Opera and Mercury.

Dolphin and Mercury do not have the ability. Odds are because they are simply new user interfaces to the underlying Safari render engine.

Opera on the other hand is not relying on Safari's render engine. While it can not do exactly what you want it can be set for "Single Column" mode and then you can turn the phone to landscape mode and it does produce a pseudo zoom that may be acceptable.

I will download Opera now and see if this can work for me. Thank you again for time and ideas. Bill

I would love to know what that fix is. Because I haven't seen one yet that works and I would dearly love to.