What's new

Pixelmator

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 30 day trial of Pixelmator for my MacBook Pro.
Its quite a learning curve but fun, I'm determined to get the hang of it though.

Pixelmator is an excellent app, I have it on my Mac mini. I also see that it will be coming to the iPhone soon. Yes, it does have a bit of a learning curve, but it can do some excellent things. I'm trying to move over to it from GIMP - which I have used for the past 5 years.

Pixelmator is an excellent app, I have it on my Mac mini. I also see that it will be coming to the iPhone soon. Yes, it does have a bit of a learning curve, but it can do some excellent things. I'm trying to move over to it from GIMP - which I have used for the past 5 years.
I've been watching some tutorials and trying a few things, It's pretty expensive but worth it from what I've seen so far, I love that you can mend old photos.

I'm assuming that if I buy it for my Mac I won't need it for iPad?

I've been watching some tutorials and trying a few things, It's pretty expensive but worth it from what I've seen so far, I love that you can mend old photos.

I'm assuming that if I buy it for my Mac I won't need it for iPad?
I haven't used the iPad version yet, don't plan to, but I am assuming it's not near as powerful as the Mac version.. given what the Mac version can do.

You can do some amazing things with this app - especially with the repair tool. And, working in layers is something that I simply can't do without.

If yout haven't seen them yet, hop over to the Pixelmator tutorials site and take a look around, those video tutorials really helped me:
Pixelmator Tutorials

Yes, you can do some amazing things with this app - especially with the repair tool.

If y out haven't seen them yet, hop over to the Pixelmator tutorials site and take a look around, those video tutorials really helped me:
Pixelmator Tutorials
Yes I've watched some of the tutorials after trying to work out what was what lol.
They are very helpful.

Wish they wouldn't use the black background though.
My eyes don't like it :)
Agreed. They really need to add a light theme option to both Pixelmator and their forums. There is a thread about this in their forums, you might voice your preference therein when you are able. Being that their forum software is likely a php package, it would be trivial to design a light theme to fit their design.

Agreed. They really need to add a light theme option to both Pixelmator and their forums. There is a thread about this in their forums, you might voice your preference therein when you are able. Being that their forum software is likely a php package, it would be trivial to design a light theme to fit their design.
I might just do that :)

Is it worth the £22.99 price tag?

Is it worth the £22.99 price tag?
I believe that would depend on how much you will use the app. I create a lot of graphics, so the price was justifiable in my case. If you're planning only light usage or simple photo retouching, then perhaps it would be advantageous to investigate some of the lower priced apps in the App Store - no need for all of the power and tools if you'll never use them.

I would also recommend looking into an app called gimp. It's free, has a native Mac client, but it has a learning curve similar to Pixelmator. There are some things gimp can do that Pixelmator cannot, but gimp is also a bit slower and large projects will require large amounts of memory.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

I've been using gimp for many years on Linux and it works well on my Mac mini.