What's new

photos upside down

Rickstir

Reaction score
Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River, Missouri
When I take a photo on my iPhone4 is shows up correctly in my photo album. When I email it the picture is upside down. I go into Microsoft Paint and rotate the picture and save it. If I upload that photo to Facebook it is upside down again even though when I look at it in the Pictures directory on my laptop it is right side up. What can I do about this Gemlin?

Rickstir said:
When I take a photo on my iPhone4 is shows up correctly in my photo album. When I email it the picture is upside down. I go into Microsoft Paint and rotate the picture and save it. If I upload that photo to Facebook it is upside down again even though when I look at it in the Pictures directory on my laptop it is right side up. What can I do about this Gemlin?

Now that is a strange problem. Only thing I could think of "besides restoring" is to "reset all settings" in Settings> General> Reset> Reset All Sertings. That might work.

If you copy from your album and paste in your email message it works that way. If not you can get mail my photo app free and use it. Mine was always sideways when I mailed from the album. You have to hold your finger and press copy that way to do it. Not from the option in the album itself to copy and share.

rpw63 said:
If you copy from your album and paste in your email message it works that way. If not you can get mail my photo app free and use it. Mine was always sideways when I mailed from the album. You have to hold your finger and press copy that way to do it. Not from the option in the album itself to copy and share.

You don't need a 3rd party app to rotate the picture. IOS 5 already has this feature in the photos app. It has an editing button.

Being that it isnt a apple issue, they obviously wont "fix" it - as its not broken.

Edit - you need to chase Microsoft (etc?) to fix their codecs that are ignoring the EXIF information - Apple codecs already read the exif information properly (afterall, they arnt upside down on your iphone/pad when displayed, as your iphone is reading the direction of the image properly from the EXIF info unlike others...)

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but as CNET explains....

"As for the cause, there's much debate over whether it's Apple's fault for setting the images' EXIF flags incorrectly or Windows' fault for failing to read them properly. Like most users, I really don't care--I just want it dealt with. And, let's face it, the onus is on Apple to implement the fix in the next iOS update."

CNET also explains:
Actually, the remedy is fairly straightforward: keep the iPhone "right-side up" when snapping photos or recording videos--meaning with the volume buttons pointed down.

The issue is the definition of up. To the users, up is relative to the top of the screen. But in reality up is when the volume buttons are down and the home button is to the physical right of the person facing the display. It has been that way for years.

The simple fix of course is to mark the picture as always up regardless of how the person holds the phone. The reality is the phone has to know orientation to properly function under all conditions. Personally I would rather see them simply place an icon for where up is.

If apple flipped their definition of "up" in the EXIF it would fix it too I guess (then it doesnt matter if other codecs read the information or not - kinda silly to have the hardware saying "up" is with the volume buttons at the top, and the software saying "up" is with the volume buttons at the bottom hey lols)