What's new

Photo Stream vs Camera Roll

azonie

Reaction score
Guess I don't get the purpose of Photo Stream. Seems to be a copy of everything in camera roll?? What is the point and why can't you delete images from Photo Stream??

You are having a photo stream folder in your Album because you have enable Photo Stream in iCloud. By default, after you make a picture it will of course be save in your camera roll folder, then because photo stream is enable in iCloud which is also active on your iPhone, your pictures will be send to the iCloud server, and iCloud have the responsibility to share those pictures with all your iDevices which are sharing the same iCloud account with your iPhone, iCloud will find that your iPhone is sharing that iCloud and so will share those new pictures in the iCloud with your iPhone to including other iDevices which sharing your iCloud account. Thus you will see that those pictures already present in your camera roll are appearing in the Photo stream folder.
You will not be able to delete those pictures, it will auto delete from the iCloud after a period of time.
If you do not want to see the photo stream there anymore, then just turn off Photo stream in iCloud and it will go away.

So guess the image is not actually on iPhone twice and taking up storage space?

Correct! PhotoStream is a "hold tank", if you will, of all pics taken on an iDevice where PhotoStream is turned on - so that all other iDevices that have PhotoStream turned on will be loaded with the newly taken pictures. They will be added to each iDevice's Camera Roll that has PhotoStream turned on. After 30 days from when a given picture is taken - it erases from PhotoStream but not from the Camera Rolls unless you personally delete a given picture from the Camera Roll of a given device.

Last edited:
when you see photo stream in your album, then yes the photos are twice in your iPhone and of course they take storage space. The photo stream feature was made just so you could fetch on your iPod, iPad, mac computers your photos taken using your iPhone. Once you have fetch them and save them into your device (open Album> photo stream/ tap on the arrow on top right, select photos you want to save and tap save located at down right. They will be save into you other devices, there is no need to save them again in your iPhone since they are already present in camera roll.) But even so and you do not save them again on your iPhone, those photos in photo stream are taking your space on your disc. Offing photo stream from iCloud settings will remove the photo stream folder from your album.

If you do not want to see the photo stream there anymore, then just turn off Photo stream in iCloud and it will go away.

It's bad enough I have a smaller itouch, but to have this photo stream piece of crap, saving my photos and videos twice, well that just makes me mad. I think that you people have been smoking way too much funny stuff. I don't want the photo stream thing showing on my itouch, so I "turned off the feature" as stated here in the forum, shut down and restarted my itouch and guess what? It's still there! This is the reason I refuse to migrate to Apple based products. Not that the rest of technology is forcing us to use their crappy features, but with Itunes, Itouch, etc, it's features I don't want but features I can't get rid of.

You may have turned it off but did you select to delete the photos from photo stream when doing so...?

I use Dropbox to store pictures.

I open the dropbox app, upload>choose from Camera Roll.

Then when I restore, I just open up Dropbox, sign in and take snapshots of the pics I want.

Not exactly as quick and simple as PhotoStream, but I have 100% total control of what images I want saved in the cloud after restore.

You can just "reset" PhotoStream in settings app to clear it out.

I now have pictures synched to my iPad through the cloud and in my phone's Camera Roll that I want to delete, but cannot seem to find a way to do that. Please help

helmsman71 said:
I now have pictures synched to my iPad through the cloud and in my phone's Camera Roll that I want to delete, but cannot seem to find a way to do that. Please help

Settings> General>iCloud>Photos> off.

It will ask to clear all or keep all photos before disabling. You cannot delete single pictures. All or nothing. I Know it's not what ya wanted to here, but that just goes to show ya how "half-assed" Apple can be.

FYI. I don't use Photo Stream.

Instead I use dropbox.

I download the dropbox app (have to have an account, but it's free and completely worth having). All it is, is 2GB of cloud storage that is much easier to manage than anything iCloud related.

Then open Dropbox, login and tap on "Uploads" at the bottom.

Then tap the "+" on the top right corner.

There you can add "almost" as many photos as you need. (limit is 2GB but who the he** has 2GB of photos in there phone.lol). Either way 2GB is plenty to store your photos.

After restore install Dropbox then open the Dropbox app, go to the pics you uploaded and tap on the square with the arrow at the bottom and tap "save image"

Or

Just take a screen shot, which will then save it to your camera roll.

(I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU ARE CONNECTED TO WIFI WHEN SAVING PICTURES FROM THE DROPBOX APP. IF YOU ARE NOT THE PICTURE QUALITY WILL BE SLIGHTLY, YET NOTICEABLY DECREASED)

Now I know this isn't exactly "Automatic" like PhotoStream is, cuz you have to open dropbox and re-save the pics you want in your camera roll................BUT

you can add and delete whichever pictures you choose, on at a time.

Where as PhotoStream only let's you keep all your photos or deletes all your photos.

I choose DropBox. Do you?

Not to mention the other cloud storage accounts I have that are way better than iCloud. Like:

SugarSync
SkyDrive &
Windows Live Mesh (no app store app but can use the site in Safari to save pic to camera roll.)

SkyDrive is by far THE best one.
A ridiculous >25GB< of FREE space.

Plus there is a plugin for you desktop called "SDExplorer"

And allows to to simply drag and drop any file from computer to SkyDrive cloud. (like SugarSync & Dropbox have, except SDExplorer costs money after free trial, but note that SugarSync and dropbox have this functionality for free, only less space is offered)

It cost money, around $13.00 ( NOT A RIP OFF). But there is a free trial, like 2 weeks I think. I just ran out of my trial and pretty sure I installed it about 2 weeks ago.

But SDExplorer is just a little extra convenience.

You can still upload all the file you want to your SkyDrive account through the SkyDrive website. So you don't have to have SDExplorer at all to upload and download files via your SkyDrive account, just slightly quicker access to it. As it is a folder in your comp.

Or you can just make a a shortcut on your desktop that goes straight to your SkyDrive account site:). Almost the same as SDE.lol

And I think with most these you can get more space w/o paying for it simply by having people sign up through a link that you get from Dropbox, or SugarSync. Not sure if SkyDrive has this offer tho.

Well you guys just think about which type of cloud service is best for you. All I know is I'm not too down w/ iCloud yet. Way too many bugs in for me. it was released to soon, as well as pretty much anything Apple releases (software wise anyway..lol).

Good luck.

I'm sure I read somewhere that with 5.1 you will be able to delete individual photos from the photo stream.

Personally I have to agree with you guys. I have it turned of (and it will stay that way) until I can pick and choose what I want uploaded. I also use the Dropbox app. Very handy...