What's new

Photo Stream Help?

adar

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded to an iPhone 4S, and I am having difficulty with my photo stream. I have an iCloud account, and photo stream is on, although I do not back up to iCloud, I back up to iTunes. I have the most recent version of iPhoto, and I have both a camera roll album and photo stream album on my phone. But when I open iPhoto, I am not prompted to do anything re photo streaming. Any suggestions? Can anyone help?
Thank you,
Ada

Here is link with manual how to Stream Photos and some other links to different forums on how to do this

<link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this will help.......

Once you update your mac to OS X Lion 10.7.2 and iOS 5 , you get iCloud and Photo Stream. With Photo Stream in iCloud transferring your pictures to your computer got a lot easier, something you will likely want to do with the nice new 8MP camera on the iPhone 4S. I use it with my iPad 2 to move pictures I take of documents, turning my iPad into a scanner.With Photo Stream, when you take a picture with your iOS device, the photo will automatically transfer to iCloud and will be stored there for up to 30 days.Using the steps below, you can easily download the photo to either iPhoto or Aperture or you can save it on your iPad, turning it into a mobile photo editor. The iPad&#8217;s much larger screen will make editing easier.

KT Bradford already showed you how to set up iCloud with your Windows PC, but here&#8217;s how to do it on a Mac.
Before you do anything on the computer, turn on Photo Stream in the Settings app on your iOS device. Do this by going into the iCloud tab and make sure the Photo Stream is set to On.

photostream_setting1.jpg

While in that Settings page you may want to poke around and enable other services as you prefer.
Now you need to do the same on your Mac. Go to System Preferences (from the Apple Menu or if you have the icon on the dock click it) and choose iCloud from the Internet & Wireless section. If you haven&#8217;t already set up your iCloud account, it will ask you to do so now. Once you&#8217;ve done that and are signed in, check off the Photo Stream: item to enable it on your Mac.

iCloud-Mac-Settings.jpg

Now setup Photo Stream in iPhoto or Aperture, depending on which application you use and where you want Photo Stream to download the pictures. The process works the same for both applications. Open either iPhoto or Aperture and go to

Preferences
from the iPhoto/Aperture menu. Check

Enable Photo Stream
and then if you want photos to automatically be downloaded, check the first item &#8211;

Automatic Import
. If you also want all photos that you load into iPhoto to automatically be uploaded to iCloud, then check the second item &#8211;

Automatic Upload

iPhoto-Photo-Stream-Settings.jpg

I will be unchecking the second item since uploading all of my photos to iCloud will quickly eat up the storage I have. I plan to just use iCloud&#8217;s Photo Stream as a way to quickly get my iOS device pictures to my computer rather than using it as a complete backup for my pictures. They will only stay there for 30 days anyway.
I did a test and shot a picture of my computer with my iPad 2. I waited just a few seconds and guess what? It showed up almost immediately in iPhoto.If you try to enable both programs to use Photo Stream, the second one will throw the error below. You can switch Photo Stream capability to the second program instead. You just can&#8217;t use both at the same time.

Error-Message-in-Aperture1.jpg

Photo Stream will make life much easier for photographers, who also use their iPads for photo previewing in the field. Shoot your pictures, then import them into your iPad using the $29 iPad Camera Connection Kit Apple sells for connecting either a USB camera or an SD card to your iPad. Photo Stream will recognize the shots after you import them into the iPad and instantly upload them to iCloud. iPhoto or Aperture will then download them back to your computer.
Awesome!

Attachments

• $Error-Message-in-Aperture1.jpg
    $Error-Message-in-Aperture1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I have a pc with Vista. Is there a fix for that or is it a Mac thing? So sorry, I'm just so new to the apple thing.

I forgot to mention that I have a pc with Vista. Is there a fix for that or is it a Mac thing? So sorry, I'm just so new to the apple thing.

Here is the one for PC setup ;)

Now that you&#8217;ve downloaded iOS 5 to your iPad (well, hopefully&#8230;) you can sign up for an iCloud account and start syncing and backing up your data across devices. This includes Photo Stream, which automatically saves all the pictures you take on your iPad or iPhone to the cloud and to synced devices.

Though iCloud functionality is baked in to Mac OS X Lion, Windows users can get in on this, too (for free). Here&#8217;s how.

(Have a Mac? Read: How to Setup iCloud&#8217;s Photo Stream on Mac)
My first assumption was that iTunes would handle the syncing for iCloud, but that&#8217;s not so. Windows users must download the iCloud Control Panel, a free utility compatible with Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and Windows 7.

icloud-PC-07.jpg

The download page also lists Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook 2007 or newer as requirements, but that&#8217;s only if you want to sync bookmarks or mail/contacts/calendar data. You don&#8217;t need them if you just want Photo Stream.
While it&#8217;s downloading and installing, go to your iPad and/or iPhone and ensure that Photo Stream is on.

icloud-PC-03.jpg

Once the iCloud Control Panel is downloaded and installed, open it from the install finish menu or go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > iCloud to get to the settings.

Check the box next to Photo Stream, then click Options. Here you&#8217;ll see where synced images will end up and where you can put images to upload to iCloud and any other connected devices. You can change it from the default &#8212; say if you want to sync all the images in your Pictures folder.

icloud-PC-06.jpg

And that&#8217;s it. Once you start adding images to the folder for uploads, you&#8217;ll see them on other iCloud devices a few minutes later. When you take pictures or screenshots with the iPhone or iPad, they&#8217;ll also appear on other devices in a few minutes (as long as you&#8217;re connected to WiFi).
There does not appear to be a way to force iCloud to upload or refresh or anything on the PC. But you can go to the iCloud settings to jumpstart a backup on the phone or tablet.

My Photo Stream folder on Windows 7

Another note: Photo Stream will only sync the images taken on your iPhone or iPad after you set it up and turn it on. So if you have existing images, they won&#8217;t sync.I find it interesting that Windows users can get this utility for free. Whereas on the Mac, in order to get iCloud syncing you have to upgrade to OS X Lion, which costs $30. One of the few times PCs get the advantage over Macs with iDevices.

Last edited: