What's new

Phonewont gmail sync

siguy2k

Reaction score
Came from android and gmail contacts won't sync. Read a lot and everyone says it should sync. I can't figure it out.

I have contacts synced from my Gmail and Exchange accounts. Are you using iCloud? if so, what are your settings for contacts? What are your contact settings in the Gmail account?

Came from android and gmail contacts won't sync. Read a lot and everyone says it should sync. I can't figure it out.

Won't sync? You are in settings. You tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Add Acount, Gmail. It signs in and you're done.

Now I have seen other people say they have issues with Gmail connect, If you search you will see there are other threads. One of the solutions I saw was uninstall and reinstall. I also saw for some it didn't work.

Good luck. Don't have that issue myself.

I have contacts synced from my Gmail and Exchange accounts. Are you using iCloud? if so, what are your settings for contacts? What are your contact settings in the Gmail account?

OK, I see. I have iCloud and it is synced to gmail as well. For whatever reason though my contacts did not carry over and I had to have Verizon do it at the store. What a mess. Their backup was a #fail for me as well.

So as mwhartman suggest check your settings in iCloud and make sure it's set for Gmail. I show that contacts are on in iCloud but my mail is off, that's because I don't want an iCloud mail account.

Tried redoing it and nothing. Any other suggestions?

Uninstalled and removed account and redid. I have no option for contacts.

Go to settings, tap mail/contacts/calendars, tap your Gmail account and make sure you have contacts on.

In iCloud make sure contacts is off

Shut off contacts on iCloud and still no option of contacts under gmail???

When you tap settings and tapped mail/contacts/calendars you will see Accounts in grey. Below in, white, you should see iCloud, Siguy2k@ gmail or whatever you entered when you added the account. Tap that and a new screen will open.

You will see in grey either Gmail or Exchange depending how you created the account, Next, , in white, will be Siguy2k@ gmail or whatever you entered when you added the account. Below, in white, will be Mail, off/on Contacts off/on and Calendars off/on.

If you slid the contact button to the right that should sync your contacts.

Did you check your iTunes settings?

I have mail calendar and notes no contacts? And no what iTunes settings?

Would it make a difference if the OP created the gmail account thru exchange and see if that works.

I have my gmail account under gmail and I don't see a contact option either.

Skimonkey said:
Would it make a difference if the OP created the gmail account thru exchange and see if that works.

I have my gmail account under gmail and I don't see a contact option either.

What server do I put?

I have my Gmail set up as an Exchange account because it handles push more efficiently.

Did you use iTunes to sync your phone? When you connect your phone to iTunes verify what you have checked under Summary tab, backup, options. Under the info tab check to see that sync contacts is checked