What's new

Phone uses 3G in Standby??!

Mine definitely uses 3G even when wifi is available. I installed Dataman (from the App Store) that tracks wifi and 3G usage separately. Every night I see about 30-40 KB of 3G usage every 10-15 minutes. And I have a very strong wifi signal at home.

Yes, that's what I've been saying all along. Keep in mind that even though you have wi-fi, it is DISABLED when the iPhone goes into "sleep mode" -- when the screen blacks out. I suppose you could adjust the setting to NEVER allow the phone to go into sleep mode, and that would keep wi-fi always on, when available. In any case, with all applications closed when not using them, your data plan usage will be quite low.

I'm going to try it again tonight with both my wifi and 3G on. Will be leaving my phone on charge all night...

dc77fce3.jpg

Heres what it was earlier today. As you can see the reset date and time hasn't changed and you can see from the status bar times it has been left on standby for over 12 hours...

83101236.jpg

Thanks for the info, gaz... Proves that individual phones work differently, use data differently, etc., depending on user settings, running apps, and so on. But just to carry this endless discussion one step farther, did your iPhone go into "Sleep Mode" (dark screen timeout) during the night when connected to the charger? Just curious.... If not, then I can understand why you didn't use any "data," since your wi-fi was always active.
Thanks again.
EW

Nope. I left the phone on all night. I locked it shortly after plugging it in. My wife used her farmville app in the morning whilst it was still on charge. I took the second screenshot shortly before unplugging it.

I have several apps with notifications turned on. Facebook and farmville being the main ones. I even had a few when I woke up. I also have my email set to fetch new mail every hour although I didn't receive any overnight.

Perhaps it's because it was on charge? I'll try it one evening after work and see if it makes a difference. Also I think it's worth mentioning I'm on 4.1 jailbroken with greenpoison...

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because it was on charge? I'll try it one evening after work and see if it makes a difference. Also I think it's worth mentioning I'm on 4.1 jailbroken with greenpoison...

Yes, that illustrates the differences between phones I wrote about earlier regarding data usage. Nevertheless, I'll still maintain that when the phone is in Sleep (or Lock) mode, wi-fi is disabled. But then again, as you wrote, being jailbroken and using a charger may be game-changers. In any case, no worries. In fact, I NEED to burn a bunch of data MBs (for general principles) since I've only used 20% on both our phones and we have only 9 days left for another billing cycle!
Regards....