What's new

Phone switching of as if battery flat

Marie86

Reaction score
this is actually a problem with my cousins 5s and my 6s started doing it. With mine I've noticed it switch off just after I get the 20% battery warning a few times but always had charger with me so put it on charge. Today I was out without my phone charging case so couldn't put it on charge. I noticed mobile internet wasn't working so I restarted it pressing on off button and home button. Straight after it came back on it went off again. The battery said 50%. I tried turning it back on and it gave the flat battery sign with charger picture then came back on and straight back off. This happened 4 or 5 times always coming on and back off on second attempt. I left it off a few minutes and tried again this time it came back on and stayed on. I did lock the phone once it came back on (pressing on off button to blacken screen) don't know if that helped it stay on. Is there anything I can do to stop it going off when battery not flat. By the way the battery is now 35% and is staying on fine so it wasn't because of low battery or battery reading higher than it is why it went off.

It could be a problem with the calibration of the battery percentage indicator. Try running the battery all the way down until the phone shuts down, then connect the charger and wait until the iPhone is fully charged. This should reset the charge percentage indicator so that it indicates the true charge level. Let let us know if it works.

Thanks for reply I was going to let it run right down to see if it helped so yea I'll try that tonight.

Well it's been ok since another thing I've done is only putting the case charger on when the phone needs charging twice I let it turn off due to flat battery and today put it on at 5%. Not sure if the case charger would do anything but a few times before it's been in case but case not switched on and the phone went off with battery around 20%

Excuse my ignorance but what is a case charger ??

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

It's like a phone case bottom, back and sides that you can charge up and use to charge your phone while out so you don't need to be near electrical socket to charge your phone.

It switched off again other day with 20% battery. I let it go completely flat again yesterday and charged going to do same today see if it works if not will have to take back to shop it's still covered if anything wrong.

One question I don't have computer with I tunes and it's slow so can't get it on. Is there any way I can store Live Photos and keep them as Live Photos? I've got a memory stick to store photos and videos on but all photos turn to still ones when sent back to phone.

i posted about this a while back my phone had gone off with about 50% battery. I got it back on putting it on charge and letting it run down to 0% it had been ok for a bit til 2 days back it went off at 20%. When it does this it tells me it needs charging 1st time I try to switch it on 2nd time it comes back on then goes off again seconds later. The battery was at 30% but still wouldn't stay on. Got it on charge and it was fine.

Yesterday I was letting it run down to 0% it got down to 3% and went off now I was out and knew it would likely need charging so had the apple case charger on me this was full. So I put that on and it still wouldn't come on and stay on it kept getting stuck on the apple logo it shows when coming on then going off probably due to flat battery. When I got in I put phone on charge and it came on and stayed on. I'm going to run it to 0% again today if I can.

I have read reseting phone can sometimes help but I'm thinking if I'm going to lose everything on it I mite as well take it to a shop and get it sorted so I only lose everything once. Also something I've noticed is it normally goes off with some battery left when I'm outside. Now it's not every time I'm out side but normally around 4 I take my dog a walk and it happens then which is the time it's getting to low battery. Anything I could try to solve problem without reseting.

Back up your phone before you take it to a shop. Sorry that won't solve the problem but your data will be safe.
I am no expert but guess you have tried resetting your iPhone?

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

There's a kind of reset which will not remove data or reset settings. To perform it, press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of both buttons. Your iPhone will power up on it's own.

Backup your device, so you won't lose information, just in case.
With a recent backup, it's possible to restore the iPhone. Use iTunes to do this. You can use the backup to restore from afterwards.

It's possible that your battery needs to be replaced. If nothing helps, and you have the possibility, take your iPhone to the next Apple Retail Store, let the technicians take a look at it. They'll certainly find the reason for your problem. Make sure there's a most recent backup before you take it there.

I will try the reset thing tho I'm sure I have already tried it.

Well little update phone been ok got down to 0% then switched off. Now a question when phone goes off through low battery should you have to put it on charge rather than put chargable case on? I put the chargable case on and it came on after a while at 3% battery and went back off and did same again. I took case off and put phone on charge and it stayed on. Now it's in case charging fine. So is it normal that completely flat phone has to go on charge instead of chargable case that charges the phone?

A battery case, such as the Mophie Juice Pack, will charge your battery safely but for the purpose of re-calibrating the charge indicator by fully charging the battery after running it all the way down, the supplied charger is best. Also, don't use the phone while it's charging from 0% to 100%, it can interfere with the proper re-calibration of the charge indicator.

Update. Phone been ok since. I have been thinking before it went off with 20% battery I had been leaving my chargeable case on it. This meant it was left on charge all night as usual plus til evening time in day as the case constantly charges it when there is charge left in case. Could this of been reason it switched off with battery remaining?