What's new

Phone shuts down when taking photos

I'm having the same problem, first noticed it New Years Eve, my battery was on about 30% as I'd had my hotspot enabled for the kids to use my internet allowance. I took a few pictures of the fireworks and then the phone just shut off, when I tried the home button nothing happened, when I powered it back on it was telling me to plug in to the mains. About 10 mins later the phone came back on and I had 27% battery!
It happened again last night, taking a couple of pictures of the snow then locked my phone, took them in to my daughter to show her but the phone wouldn't come on and the battery dead symbol was displayed. Plugged the phone in to power and it came back on charging again at 27%!
iPhone 5 16GB
iOS 6.0.2

Today I decided to restore the iPhone after almost 2 months with the problem, and the same problem happened again.

Battery 18%, I took 2 pictures and phone shutdown.

You have to connect it to back on again, or click home and switch button at the same time to reboot it.

I'm terribly dissapointed with this thing :(

raveiga said:
Today I decided to restore the iPhone after almost 2 months with the problem, and the same problem happened again.

Battery 18%, I took 2 pictures and phone shutdown.

You have to connect it to back on again, or click home and switch button at the same time to reboot it.

I'm terribly dissapointed with this thing :(

Have you considered making a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple store? If your phone is still under warranty and the problem is hardware related, you should receive a replacement iPhone. Make sure to do a backup of your phone before taking it in. If you receive a replacement phone, you can set it up from the backup you made.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator