What's new

Phone settings reset by themself

Random384

Reaction score
I have a a verizon iphone 4. I noticed my phone was severely lagging so I tried a hard reset. When the phone restarted I noticed the status bar appear underneath the apple logo on the middle of the screen as if I was doing an ios update (I currently have ios 5.1) When the loading bar was finished I noticed my screen was dim and the battery percentage was gone. My alert sounds had also changed. This also happened to me about a month ago when I got done working an overnight shift about 5 weeks ago. I had an app that wouldn't work right so I tried a hard reset. Had the same problem with the status bar that time too and the settings changing. However after I went to sleep & woke up my password to the lock screen did not work! I went to the genius bar @ the apple store & they didn't know what was wrong. They said the only thing I could do was restore my phone from a backup or lose all my data. I wasn't gonna do that so I decided to wait awhile and attempt my lock screen password a few hours later & hope my phone wouldn't wipe after trying an incorrect password too many times. It ended up working but it really bothered me that they had no explanation for any of this! Please help!!!

Sounds like corrupt software or something. I would first try to reset all settings via> Settings> General> Reset> Reset All Settings. This will not erase anything. All it does is rest all "preferences" to defaults, and you will have to reconfigure everything again.

If that does not work, then I think your only chance would be to restore and NOT FROM A BACKUP. I that is not what you wanted to here, but when you restore from a backup to fix a problem, the "problem files" are often backked up too, and get restored back to the phone when you restore from that backup.

However the Genus guy was wrong(biig surprise) about "losing everything" when you restore and setup as a new device.

You can still restore and setup as new without using a backup, and keep all your applications, music, notes, reminders, calendars, and most importantly, your contacts.

This is what I love about iOS 5. I never restore from a backup(and never will) so when I discovered I could keep almost everything and still restore and setup as new I was very pleased to realize this.

However, notice I said "almost". Restoring and setting up as will however make you lose all your application data. This mostly applies to game progress.....However I have noticed that some newer games will restore your game progress straight from Game Center.

Any way, the only way to restore, setup as new, and still retain most of your information is more than easy.

All you have to do(before restoring) is go to Settings> iCloud> and simply toggle anything on that you want backed up. That is it. just make sure nothing is being backed up by multiple email addresses. Check the other email accounts(if any) and make sure all toggles are off(except mail).

Now anything toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be restored to your iPhone directily after restore and setup as new. All you have to do after restore to make sure everything gets restored is select "Use iCloud" when you setup the phone after restore. It really is that simple.

As for applications and music, all that is needed to keep that media is to plug in iPhone, open iTunes, right click on your devices name in the left side of iTunes and click "Transfer Purchases" before restoring.

If you need to transfer music that was not bought from iTunes then it will not transfer when you click "Transfer Purchases". Tho if all your none-iTunes bought music is already in iTunes then ignore the next step.

To transfer none-iTunes music(that is not in your iTunes music library) you will have to do this with another program. There are mant good prgrams out there, and most good ones cost money.

However I have discovered a great tools that transfers none-iTunes music to PC for free. This tool is called iTools. It is a Chinese tool, but just search for the english version and download it.

Then use iTools to transfer the none-iTunes music to a folder on your desktop. After the music is transferred then you can simply drag and drop all that music into iTunes from your desktop.

Just a few pointers, in case you do need to restore, and setup as new device.

As I said, you can always restore and setup as new, and it works well *most* of the time, but it is never recommended when you are restoring to specifically fix a problem. It only makes perfect sense. So you can either live with the problem, restore from a backup and hope it works(it has the potential to), or lose a very small amount of application data and restore and setup as new.