What's new

phone does not make noise when texts come in

daphne_d

Reaction score
I have a brand new iphone 5s. This last wk it seems to not make any sound when texts come in... sometimes it vibrates, but not always. I stopped at a kiosk in the mall today and they tried it and it worked for them, of course...lol. After I left, it again didn't work. All the settings are set right. it does make sound when phone calls come in. It just seems sporadic. Yesteday the phone was right next to me and I missed 3 texts.

I fought this same problem for 2 yrs with my last iphone and the verizon people always acted like I was crazy and wouldn't do anything. Then it stopped making noise entirely for awhile.

I don't want to go through this again, for 2 yrs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, daphne_d!

I don't know from your comment above which settings you were looking at, so here are a few suggestions that might help:

Go to Settings - Notifications - Messages and make sure "Allow Notifications" is enabled.

Also look at "Do not Disturb" in your settings. It should be disabled.

Reset your iPhone. This won't remove any settings or data. To reset, press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. Your device will power up on it's own.

Hope that helps.

In addition to what JA told you to do go into settings>Sounds and make sure the sounds you want are enabled.

Thank you for the replies... I have done all of those things. I wonder if I have a bad phone.

But your previous phone had the same issues so it probably is your settings. Sometime changing to a different tone will help.

Here's something more drastic:
Go to Settings - General - Reset and Reset all Settings. This will remove everything you selected or set up in your settings.

That done, reset your iPhone, using Home and Power button.

Hopefully this will help with your problem.

And make sure the name of the text tone you designated in Notifications (under Messages) is the same as that designated in sounds.

Go to Settings - General - Reset and Reset all Settings. This will remove everything you selected or set up in your settings.

Ok- it is working today, so far, but if it stops making text alert sounds again, I will try the reset. I have rechecked all of my settings again, and they all seem right. Thanks for your help.