What's new

OtterBox Armor Vs. Griffin Survivor Vs. LifeProof

Pixie84

Reaction score
I got an iPhone 5 and lost it due to an accident. Now I want to buy the best protection for my new iPhone 5. I want it to be protected against shocks, drops, dust & water. What is the best case for iPhone 5 out of the following:

-LifeProof
-OtterBox Armor
-Griffin Survivor​

My brother got an Otterbox Armor before it was released since he's a Marine, and it's a really durable case and definitely worth the buy. You can drop it and crush it with a pretty large amount of weight and it'll still be fine. I'm not saying run it over with a car or a tractor trailer, I mean like getting crushed or stepped on by something the relative weight or force of an average or above average person.

I bought a Griffin Survivor for my 4s and thought it did a great job protection wise. For awhile. After about a year, the three tabs protecting the plug-in slot, ringer on/off, and headphone jack all started to come off. I didn't handle the tabs with kid gloves, but neither was I particularly rough with it. I'd open and close it, that was about it. While it lasted it was GREAt. My only complaint other than having those detach eventually was the tab covering the camera. I had a newer one that had an added slot for it to sort of attach to, and it worked fairly well, but the setup is absolutely not conducive to using the camera reasonably quickly. And occasionally it does come loose from the slot and snap back over the camera, eliminating any sort of shot until you take the time to reattach. Haven't gotten the new armor yet, it's supposed to arrive this weekend. I'll post a first impression when I receive it and have it at least a day or two.

I'd go with the LifeProof for overall protection. But it's expensive.

I bought a Griffin Survivor for my 4s and thought it did a great job protection wise. For awhile. After about a year, the three tabs protecting the plug-in slot, ringer on/off, and headphone jack all started to come off. I didn't handle the tabs with kid gloves, but neither was I particularly rough with it. I'd open and close it, that was about it. While it lasted it was GREAt. My only complaint other than having those detach eventually was the tab covering the camera. I had a newer one that had an added slot for it to sort of attach to, and it worked fairly well, but the setup is absolutely not conducive to using the camera reasonably quickly. And occasionally it does come loose from the slot and snap back over the camera, eliminating any sort of shot until you take the time to reattach. Haven't gotten the new armor yet, it's supposed to arrive this weekend. I'll post a first impression when I receive it and have it at least a day or two.

Just bought the defender case from Otterbox,really a solid case

Yes, my wife has a Defender and it's nice but not in the same class as either the Survivor or Armor. It isn't water, dust or crush proof. So if any of those things are on your must list, the Defender is out. I got my Armor case and so far, am really impressed. It is definitely heavier than the Griffin, and it is a bit bulkier but not significantly so. I like the closures on it, they feel more robust than those on the Survivor, and the phone is definitely protected. The sound is a bit muffled with the bottom sealed, but personally I almost always listen to mine either through headphones, in which case you will have the top jack closure opened, or through Bluetooth external speaker which will not be affected. I believe the cost of the Lifeproof is a bit cheaper than the new Armor (which is $99) but from the people I know who have a Lifeproof and the cases I have been able to handle as a third party, the Armor is easy more robust and protective. The Lifeproof us slimmer, but it also feels cheaper and, I would wager, not as protective. Just depends on how much protection you want and how much weight and bulk you are willing to take to get it.

Yes, my wife has a Defender and it's nice but not in the same class as either the Survivor or Armor. It isn't water, dust or crush proof. So if any of those things are on your must list, the Defender is out. I got my Armor case and so far, am really impressed. It is definitely heavier than the Griffin, and it is a bit bulkier but not significantly so. I like the closures on it, they feel more robust than those on the Survivor, and the phone is definitely protected. The sound is a bit muffled with the bottom sealed, but personally I almost always listen to mine either through headphones, in which case you will have the top jack closure opened, or through Bluetooth external speaker which will not be affected. I believe the cost of the Lifeproof is a bit cheaper than the new Armor (which is $99) but from the people I know who have a Lifeproof and the cases I have been able to handle as a third party, the Armor is easy more robust and protective. The Lifeproof us slimmer, but it also feels cheaper and, I would wager, not as protective. Just depends on how much protection you want and how much weight and bulk you are willing to take to get it.

Agreed. It comes down to what you're expecting for your device. Of course, there's always the unexpected but for the small things, like if you accidentally drop it, or if you like taking it for a swim, then you would choose accordingly. There's never a "this case is better than this case", more like "in this scenario, it's nice to have this case over that case", etc.

Life proof is sub par. Extremely poor customer service. Massive muted volume and a mystery grease spot appears under the screen.. Silly adapters have to be used if you intend to use the headphone jack in any way at all.. Plus the screen gets scratched more easily than the other two. Way over priced. Life proof is a buy at your own risk product.

I suggest the griffin. I disagree with the above poster... I've had great feedback from the griffin.. It IS DUSTPROOF, and it is water resistant. No, you can't go swimming with it but whatever.. It can be used in a light rain..

Last edited:
i don't have one yet but from the reviews on the internet both can do the same job drop hit shock water dust every thing but the otter box is the one you want it's harder than griffin and can take more shocks ,hits and drop