What's new

Original iPhone Team Talk About Its Creation

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Original iPhone team talks about how it was created.JPG

MacRumors reports that ahead of the 10-year anniversary of the original iPhone this week, The Wall Street Journal has been talking to three of the men who, along with late Apple co-founder and CEO, Steve Jobs, were responsible for the original iPhone, namely Scott Forstall, Tony Fadell, and Greg Christie.

First off, former senior vice president of the iPod division, Tony Fadell, told the WSJ about the surreal experience of Steve Jobs showing him the first demo for the iPhone’s touch controls:

“Steve goes, ‘Come over here I need to show you something.’ So he walked me into the room…and it was basically like a ping-pont-table-sized demo with a projector that was projecting a Mac interface on it. And you could use your whole hand and you could touch different things on it, like it was a big big Mac.

“It was literally a ping-pong-sized multi-touch display. And he goes, ‘I think this is gonna solve our problem.’”

Next up, former Apple vice president of iOS, Scott Forstall, talked about how in 2005 Jobs was not happy with the appearance of the early iPhone designs, and told Forstall’s team that he would give the project to another team if they couldn’t come up with something better.

And finally, former Apple vice president of human interface, Greg Christie, talked about Jobs' initial reaction when the team finally managed to come up with an iPhone design that met with his approval:

“The first time he saw it he was completely silent, he didn’t say a thing. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t gesture, he didn’t’ ask a question. Then he sat back and he said, ‘Show it to me again.’ And so we go through the whole thing again and Steve was pretty much blown away by the whole demonstration. It was great work.

“Our reward for doing a great job on that demonstration was to, you know, kill ourselves over the next two and a half years.”

Source: Former Apple Executives Recall Designing Touchscreen Interface of Original iPhone