What's new

Office for mac

dave307

Reaction score
I know this is the wrong place to ask this question. But I took a gamble and had a go.
My son is thinking of getting a apple laptop what he would like to know do they come with office installed or would he have to get his own office.
At the moment he's using Microsoft Acer laptop with office 2010.
Any help Please. If not where would be the best place to ask this question.
Many Thanks . David.

No, Office doesn't come pre- installed on a Mac. It is a Microsoft product and and would need to be purchased separately and then installed.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Regarding my question, I notice on my iphone6 that you can get word from the app store. Will that be available on a laptop or is it a different app store?
Thank You.David.

The Mac App Store is not exactly the same as the iOS App Store. There are quite a few apps that can handle Word, Excel or Powerpoint files. If he wishes to use Microsoft Office, he'll have to download it from Microsoft's site.

It's a Microsoft product so you have to pay for it. There are good free alternatives (OpenOffice, LibreOffice to name a couple), or you can download a free ad supported version of Office from Microsoft's site.

Hi.Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
My son called round this morning and I passed on the info from here, He told me that his pal said that Pages should be preinstalled in the new mac book and that will more or less do what is required from office. What he said that you can write documents print and save them. Also it has spreadsheets included in pages.
Is that correct Please.
Many Thanks .David.

You can produce, save and print documents with Pages. For spreadsheets you will need Numbers, also pre-installed on Macs, both part of Apple's iWork productivity suite.

Last edited:
Thank You all very much.
May I ask one last point. Its about photos does it have software for editing images? Thank You all once again

The built in Photos app can edit images, and he'll also find editing apps in the Mac App Store.

Keynotes is the Apple version of Powerpoints, just in case he needs that as well.

Hi. I'm Sorry to get back to you.
My son has got a apple mac laptop on a 30 trial from the QVC shopping channel that allows you to return an item in the 30day trial.
Now he has tried it out and he likes what he seen, But the only thing wrong was the size it was a 12ins one so he has to return this item back to QVC and then exchange it for a larger one cost more money of course.
My help is that before he sends it back he has to delete all his info that he installed ID passwords etc and some photos not a great deal of items.What is the best way to reset this back to the way he had it from them?.Any help here Please once again.
Sorry to be a pain in the rear.
David.