What's new

Now i know what has been happening to my Apple iPhone6

digitalcuriosity

Reaction score
After the many Apple upgrades i noticed my battery losing charge quicker then in the past, this after the upgrades and i had no battery issues before.

Now it is found Apple has been slowing the older iPhones telling us the older batteries are becoming weaker and have caused phones to just shut down, funny don't recall this being a major reported problem before.

What i and many others think is Apple is trying hard to get us to buy a NEW iPhone there not wanting to protect us.

I also understand some people are thinking really hard about changing from their Apple iPhones to Samsung phones.

That’s interesting. I just had to replace the battery in my iPhone 6 which was fine before a couple of updates.

That’s interesting. I just had to replace the battery in my iPhone 6 which was fine before a couple of updates.

That is another item Apple is saying in the news report this morning, they are saying people can pay $75US for a new battery if they want it.

Just like you have found my phone was working fine battery was showing very little need for charging, but after the updates i started noticing a change in my battery.
I am not buying a new battery and am really giving buying a Samsung phone to replace my Apple iPhone6.

There have been problems with older iPhones shutting down, I’ve seen enough members with these problems on iPhone Forums. Preventing devices from shutting down when the battery starts getting weak is nothing dirty. It helps customers using the iPhone for a while longer. Also, the devices are getting slower because of the battery, not because of updates.

So Apple’s intention is not to sell more devices, but to keep the ones we’re using for as long as possible, at least until the battery has to be replaced.

It’s your decision to change to a different brand. I wouldn’t do it.
I’ve used Samsung smartphones before. Apple’s system is more secure than Android; iOS updates, which always contain security fixes as well, are available for every user at the same time, while you have to wait with an Android if and when you’ll receive an update. And I’ve had enough updates on Android to know that the devices degrade way more quickly than an iPhone.

Last edited:
There’s something else to consider:
If they didn’t slow down the device, there would be a greater risk of internal components being damaged.

So instead of accusing them of making us buy new devices, or saying that they do something dirty to their customers, read the whole story, not just the catchy headline.

I am not buying a new battery and am really giving buying a Samsung phone to replace my Apple iPhone6.
Go for it. Then you get to deal with things like New Android vulnerability allows attackers to modify apps without affecting their signatures.

Disclosure and resolution

We have reported this issue to Google on July 31, 2017, and received acknowledgment the same day. Google has released a patch to its partners in November. They have published the bug (CVE-2017-13156) in the Android Security Bulletin on December 4, 2017.
(emphasis added)

Note the "released a patch to its partners" part. Care to guess how long it'll take said partners to push an update to customers?

It’s not really that bad, but it can take up to a year, until you might get the update, and this also depends on your country.
I'd consider it very irresponsible for those partners to hold up an important security patch for any reason.

It's not so much older phones, as it is phones with worn degrading batteries. I still use the 6s Plus I got September 25, 2015. I'm a very heavy user. I haven't noticed any slowdown at all. I do have to charge more often, and experience the occasional glitch. Probably because I'm still on iOS 10.1.1. What Apple has done is a good thing. It keeps phones with degrading batteries running as well as possible. Most users upgrade every year or two anyway, so it's not an issue. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

It's not so much older phones, as it is phones with worn degrading batteries. I still use the 6s Plus I got September 25, 2015. I'm a very heavy user. I haven't noticed any slowdown at all. I do have to charge more often, and experience the occasional glitch. Probably because I'm still on iOS 10.1.1. What Apple has done is a good thing. It keeps phones with degrading batteries running as well as possible. Most users upgrade every year or two anyway, so it's not an issue. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

When Apple just degrades the quality of your iPhone, you say it's been blown way out of proportion?
Maybe Apple should let us iPhone owners make the call, if we want a degraded phone for some reason.

Like Apple did with my older iPad2 just quit updating it, still updating my iPad3 for now.
iPad 2 and 3 already had problems handling iOS 9, and were not built to cope with iOS 10, so they didn’t get the update.

Apple was updating these devices for about 5 years. You won’t get this with an Android. After two or three years, there won’t be an update any more.

Last edited: