What's new

"No Service" showing after restore.

Ortega Season

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm not quite sure if this questions belongs in the Jailbreak section but it's probably connected.

Yesterday I tried to update my IPhone 3GS through ITunes and this caused my IPhone to get stuck in Recovery Mode. I'd Jailbroken this phone earlier in the year so I could use an old SIM card. I've now learned that if you update through ITunes after this it will cause the jailbreak to be cancelled. In any case, I then tried to restore the phone through ITunes and put it back to the original settings. This worked but then the IPhone wouldn't accept either the original SIM card it or the one I'd added after jailbreaking it. Somehow Itunes was able to get the phone back to its status before all of this started and now it is accepting my old SIM card and password. All my old messages and text that was stored before this are present. However, the main display is showing "No Service" so I can't make calls and Safari isn't working (although a Wi-Fi signal is being received). I'm not really sure where to start fixing this? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

The No Service message normally means that the installed SIM card is not currently activated. Have you talked to your carrier to make sure that the SIM card is still activated? If the SIM card itself is defective you should be able to get another one from your carrier.

The No Service message normally means that the installed SIM card is not currently activated. Have you talked to your carrier to make sure that the SIM card is still activated? If the SIM card itself is defective you should be able to get another one from your carrier.

I think I already fixed it. I just had to put it back to factory settings with ITunes and then jailbreak it again. I already saved the info from the phone so it wasn't a big deal. I think I just got confused because when I first got the phone it was accepting the SIM card I was given with it but this time round it wasn't accepting either card.

Everything appears to be working fine now. However when I did all the Cydia updates at the end of the jailbreak it said it completed them but I wasn't able to get off of the Cydia update screen or shut the power off. The phone hadn't frozen because the clock was still moving. I left the phone overnight until it ran out of power and everything appears to be fine now. Should this cause any further problems? Thanks.

I think I already fixed it. I just had to put it back to factory settings with ITunes and then jailbreak it again. I already saved the info from the phone so it wasn't a big deal. I think I just got confused because when I first got the phone it was accepting the SIM card I was given with it but this time round it wasn't accepting either card.

Everything appears to be working fine now. However when I did all the Cydia updates at the end of the jailbreak it said it completed them but I wasn't able to get off of the Cydia update screen or shut the power off. The phone hadn't frozen because the clock was still moving. I left the phone overnight until it ran out of power and everything appears to be fine now. Should this cause any further problems? Thanks.
Running the battery all the way down to low power shut down won't cause any problems unless it's left for a prolonged period in a discharged state.

Running the battery all the way down to low power shut down won't cause any problems unless it's left for a prolonged period in a discharged state.

Nah, I was talking about being unable to move from the Cydia updates page or shut down, not the battery.