What's new

No one can hear me on my new iphone5

m_james

Reaction score
I have to know if other people are having this problem. I am getting complaints that nobody can hear me on my new iPhone 5. Seems to be worse when I am in my car or anywhere with background noise. I took it to the apple store today and they gave me a new phone and this one has the same problem. I am going crazy. So frustrating. I never had this problem with my old iPhones.

People on the other end say I sound muffled or like I am holding the phone really far away.

Anyone else having this issue?

Are you using a cover on your iPhone...?

Yes, I am using a otter box cover. I guess I will remove the cover and see if that makes a difference

Yes, I am using a otter box cover. I guess I will remove the cover and see if that makes a difference

I am using an otter box defender with the i5 and I have had no complaints at all. Just got it 2 days ago though.

I haven't had any issues at all and I've had mine since release day. I, too, have used the Otter Box Defender while on the phone with no issues although I don't use it anymore due to finding a better set up.

My wife and I were having the same problem with our new iphones5 . The I saw somewhere that I could test my sound by calling into Skype test call. There your voice is recorded and played back so you can hear how it sounds. I think we were just holding the phone away from out mouths.

Update ---

I updated the OS and then had AT&T reset my SIM card. That appeared to work for a day but the very next day the sound was horrible again to callers on the other side. I was ready to return the phone so I went back to AT&T and they put a new SIM card in it. So far, that appears to have solved the issue. Finally people can hear me clearly. It has only been 1 day so I will continue to test and if anything changes, I will date this post.

I have an otterbox defender on my i5 and I have the same complaints from people when I hold the phone with my shoulder. However the two people that complain about it are iPhone 4S users.

I have an otterbox defender on my i5 and I have the same complaints from people when I hold the phone with my shoulder. However the two people that complain about it are iPhone 4S users.

I have had my i5 sprint for about 9 days inside an otter box defender with absolutely no complaints from anyone about sound quality, even when I hold the phone further away.

Yea everybody hears me great too exempt for my 2 brothers who both have i4s. They only have issues hearing me when I hold the phone with my shoulder. Lol maybe my fat cheeks just cover the mic.