What's new

New to iPhone jailbreaking questions

allan473

Reaction score
I am an android user about to switch to an iPhone. I have a few questions on jailbreaking.

1. Assume my device had iOS 8.0 and I jailbreak. Each time I upgrade to 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 do I lose jailbreaking? I think so but confirm please.

2. If I lose jailbreak and then rejailbreak, does Cydia and installed modules like springboard3 remember the modules/settings I downloaded and tweaked or do I have to start with just Cydia and download/tweak again?

You can't upgrade the iOS on a device while it's jail broken. You have to remove the jailbreak, upgrade, and re-jailbreak if the new iOS version is jailbreakable. Also, the only iOS version you can update to is the latest version. To upgrade to a particular iOS version, you have to do it when that version is the latest version and still being signed.

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks.

So when I jailbreak again after upgrading Cydia will be installed but I will have to re-do any tweaks I have done, right?

Got it. Thanks.

So when I jailbreak again after upgrading Cydia will be installed but I will have to re-do any tweaks I have done, right?
You'll have to separately backup your Cydia apps and tweaks. The best Cydia backup app is PKGBackup it's a paid app but is highly recommended. I believe the price is $8.00.
Once you re-jailbreak you can use the app to restore all your apps and tweaks the way they were before you upgraded.

If you update IOS to a newer version that is jail breakable; Jailbreak then re-install the previously installed apps or tweaks. Any customizations that you did to the apps/tweaks will all be there. So while you do have to re-install them you don't have to make any adjustments to your particular preferences. At least it has been like that for me over many jailbreaks.

Welcome to the jailbreak community.