What's new

New MD user

Joeli5

Reaction score
Fed Ex brightened my smile today. Got me phone but cant get my info from my i4S, so it's a mixed bag for me until I'm done. I'm off to search this site for answers.

Back up your 4S, then plug your 5 into iTunes and set it up from the backup of the 4S, not as a new device and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Back up your 4S, then plug your 5 into iTunes and set it up from the backup of the 4S, not as a new device and you should be good to go.

OK I already goofed up and set it up as a new device, should I delete it and then reconnect it again?

Joeli5 said:
OK I already goofed up and set it up as a new device, should I delete it and then reconnect it again?

It would probably be the quickest way to achieve what you want.

You can either use "Restore" from iTunes, or Erase all content and settings". Then proceed as a new phone, restoring from the 4S backup.

Last edited:
hookbill said:
That's the way I would do it. Again make sure you have your 4s backed up.

This is crucial to the operation.

G'day and welcome to the ForuM!!!! :)

You guys rock I'm in business now.

Just curious as a new guy...could he have used icloud to do this? If not what info did he need itunes to get?

Just curious as a new guy...could he have used icloud to do this? If not what info did he need itunes to get?

I don't trust iCloud. Setting up a new phone to me needs the security of a wired connection.

Now his iPhone 5 should be an exact copy of his 4S. You can back up any iDevice from the backup of another. So if you have an iPad, you can use it to set up a new phone. All of your contacts, email accounts etc will transfer.

I don't trust iCloud. Setting up a new phone to me needs the security of a wired connection.
Plus... 9/10 users don't pay extra $$ for a larger iCloud storage space. So, the standard 5GB of iCloud storage just won't cut it when it comes to fully moving everything from one iPhone to the next. That truly requires the wired connection and iTunes.

Now his iPhone 5 should be an exact copy of his 4S. You can back up any iDevice from the backup of another. So if you have an iPad, you can use it to set up a new phone. All of your contacts, email accounts etc will transfer.
Kevin is on point, it worked seamlessly. The icloud GB was to small and took a very long time. The iTunes method was quick and completely make the i5 like I was using the i4S but with a larger screen, better picture, and gobs more speed :)

Does Itunes back up pics, movies and email account settings? My wife's 4s has never been sync'd up with anything so I turned on icloud and backed it up overnight. She used up 4.5GB worth of space. Thanks for the info btw.

Danimal said:
Does Itunes back up pics, movies and email account settings? My wife's 4s has never been sync'd up with anything so I turned on icloud and backed it up overnight. She used up 4.5GB worth of space. Thanks for the info btw.

I don't think it does content, just settings. I've never done it myself. Perhaps someone who has used iTunes to set up a new device could let us know. I would be interested in this answer myself.