What's new

New iPhone 4S - How To Transfer Contacts From Old Micro SD to New iPhone 4S

paver54

Reaction score
I searched. I searched on Google, I searched on this forum. Nothing explains how to transfer my contacts from my old phone's micro sd card to the new iPhone 4S. I am with Virgin Mobile, they're no help. The Best Buy rep that the spouse went to insisted they don't handle Virgin Mobile - I guess he didn't want to work that day.

I see the card slot on the side of the 4S, got it open with a tiny paper clip, but my micro sd doesn't seem to fit, and I'm not going to force it. Does this take a different size SD card?

Thanks for the help!

Lou

Just in case you need to know, the old phone is a Samsung Intercept, also from Virgin Mobile.

There's no micro SD support on any iOS devices. You'll have to port them over to a Google account, then sync the contacts over to your phone. Or if you can manually save them as .csv, you can sync them over though your formatting will most likely not come out the way you want it to

We have a MAC computer, and a micro sd card reader, would it be possible to port from the old sd card, to the Mac then usb connect the iPhone to the Mac and import into the iPhone, from the Mac?

That's possible, that would be the .csv method. The thing is, the formatting might not be the same between the two devices, so the contact's last name might end up as the company name, or the first name might end up as the last name, etc etc. It gets messy during transferring when using .csv. The Google method is easier, because it aligns everything as it should be, so you just save it onto a Google account, then sync the contacts over on your device directly.

When you say 'Google Account' do you mean your gmail account? I don't want to assume anything here.

A single Google account pretty much covers everything to be honest. The only thing that's not covered is Google Voice, which you'll need to register separately after getting a Google account, so yeah, Gmail :p