What's new

New iphone 4 user! Should i jailbreak it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhsmith37

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the apple idevices. I'm wondering if I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not...

I read online that jail breaking might make the phone unstable, is that true?

What are the pros and cons of jail breaking?

Thanks!

No it's not unstable. And yes you should jailbreak it and get freed from the ball and chain!!!

And couple questions,

I saw this winterboard thing, how exactly do I use it to "customize" my phone?
And for the iPhone hotspot thing, will iPhone 5.1.1 work? And do I need to have data plan for the hotspot? I only have calls and txts

I know I need to jailbreak my phone first

Thanks

Winterboard is just an application to set themes, you download whatever theme you want and then select and apply the theme through winterboard. iPhone tethering works on all firmware, but you definitely need a data plan in order for it to work. If you don't have a data plan there is no data to tether.

vhsmith37 said:
Hi, I'm new to the apple idevices. I'm wondering if I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not...

I read online that jail breaking might make the phone unstable, is that true?

What are the pros and cons of jail breaking?

Thanks!

your best to read through the many other threads and make your own decision, and i'd urge you note how many posts that are in concern over problems after having (or attempted to) jail beak their device.

you need to decide can you live without all the JB 'advantages' against if it go wrong the and of your phone becoming an expensive door stop.

many will shout "done it dozens of times with no problems" just as many others now have a dead device after trying just once!

gets a bit like speeding - can you afford that risk!

you might have guessed, i've remained stock, Apple test every App and any upgrade before releasing it, that control keeps quality high with less risk of buggy rouge apps or virus trojans being circulated.

No offense but if you don't have a data plan then why have an iPhone

There's a thing called wifi..

And to the OP, I have an iPhone 4 that I jailbroke. It's cool but I'm perfectly fine with stock iOS. I'm not really a theme a tweak guy. I bought my iPhone because I loved iOS, not to basically make it an android lol. The only app/tweak I've found that I like after jailbreaking is iCleaner which cleans the cache of all your apps. Jailbreaking doesn't make your phone unstable unless you download a bunch of tweaks and apps that don't work with each other. Otherwise, you could jailbreak and not even download any jailbreak apps like so you can just browse cydia once in a while til you find what you want. That's what I did so I can have it jailbroke already and it's basically a stock iPhone with cydia on it lol.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 4

Last edited:
Hell, if I'm around wifi I'm using iPad, laptop or anything with a bigger screen.

I'm not. I hate using computers and don't own a tablet. All I use is my iPhone for everything unless I have to type something out. I have a brand new Asus laptop with a core i7 and 8gigs of ram and I hardly use it lol

I'm not. I hate using computers and don't own a tablet. All I use is my iPhone for everything unless I have to type something out. I have a brand new Asus laptop with a core i7 and 8gigs of ram and I hardly use it lol

That's a shame the i7 processor screams!!!!

That's a shame the i7 processor screams!!!!

I know it does lol. I just hate sitting on the computer, I don't know why. It's definitely a nice system though.

Edit: Oops my bad I just checked and it's an i5 with 6 gigs ram. Still a beast.

Last edited:
Yea I had jail broken my phone several times. I also had to restore it back several times. After a while the phone becomes very slow and unstable. What makes it worse I wasn't even using a theme. I was just using no more then 5 tweaks. Your best bet is to just keep it stocked. If you are going to jb just becareful of the tweaks you download.

Status
Not open for further replies.