What's new

New guy, new (to me) iPhone...NEED HELP, please!

JGKC9AYC

Reaction score
So I just received a one-owner 3gs (16GB).
I turn it on & it's wanting me to connect to iTunes.
All I can do is either make an emergency call or get info on the phone which consists IMEI & ICCID #'s.
What now?

JGKC9AYC said:
So I just received a one-owner 3gs (16GB).
I turn it on & it's wanting me to connect to iTunes.
All I can do is either make an emergency call or get info on the phone which consists IMEI & ICCID #'s.
What now?

Download the new version of iTunes connect your iPhone. Follow on screen directions and away you go..simple

Simple for those that are familiar with such phones & have no paranoia. :)
Just don't upgrade to 5.1, right?

JGKC9AYC said:

5.1i think is the only one you can update to..I stand corrected on that

as youre going to jailbreak then no dont upgrade to 5.1

as youre going to jailbreak then no dont upgrade to 5.1

Yes, I plan on jailbreaking. Is there one that's better than the other?
I see that it's on 4.3.3. I have no idea if that's good or bad. If it's bad, can one upgrade the OS without going through iTunes?
Please keep in mind i'm comfortable messing with phones. I started out hacking my Razer, then my BB, finally my Droid. iPhones are new to me, but i'm sure it's not a whole lot of difference.
I appreciate y'alls help & patience with me. :)

Yes, I plan on jailbreaking. Is there one that's better than the other?
I see that it's on 4.3.3. I have no idea if that's good or bad. If it's bad, can one upgrade the OS without going through iTunes?
Please keep in mind i'm comfortable messing with phones. I started out hacking my Razer, then my BB, finally my Droid. iPhones are new to me, but i'm sure it's not a whole lot of difference.
I appreciate y'alls help & patience with me. :)

4.3.3 is easily jailbreakable, just open Safari on the phone and go to http://jailbreakme.com and you're done. If you have your 5.0.1 SHSH you can create and restore a custom firmware to update to 5.0.1(which is also untethered). Otherwise you'll have to update to 5.1 and use a tethered jailbreak.

4.3.3 is easily jailbreakable, just open Safari on the phone and go to JailbreakMe 3.0 and you're done. If you have your 5.0.1 SHSH you can create and restore a custom firmware to update to 5.0.1(which is also untethered). Otherwise you'll have to update to 5.1 and use a tethered jailbreak.

I have no idea what "5.0.1 SHSH" is.
Is 4.3.3 a decent OS? Am I missing out on anything?

JGKC9AYC said:
I have no idea what "5.0.1 SHSH" is.
Is 4.3.3 a decent OS? Am I missing out on anything?

Are you going to need an unlock or re you using AT&T?

If you are going to need an unlock then download a tool called Tiny Umbrella version 5.10.10 ONLY. Not any version above 5.10.10.

Plug in phone. Clic the "Save SHSH" button.

If 5.0.1 comes up then you can restore to it.

On a side note you can download a tool called iDetector from ih8sn0w.com and it will tell you I'd your device is old bootrom or new bootrom.

Of you have a new bootrom then 5.1 will be a tethered jailbreak. If you have old bootrom then you will have an untethered jailbreak on 5.1.

I recommend you go with whatever is an untethered jailbreak. But you need Tiny Umbrella to see which SHSH you have. After you click the "Save SHSH" button, a list of the iOS firmwares will show in the white box. Whatever shows in that list is the only iOS you will be able to restore to. Those are your SHSH blobs. SHSH blobs are blobs of data you need to save on every new iOS release. Whenever Apple releases a new iOS, they stop signing the previous one. The SHSH blobs allow you to restore to an iOS is not being signed any more.

If you are an unlocker it is very important that you create your own custom IPSW with the tools provided.

Are you going to need an unlock or re you using AT&T?

If you are going to need an unlock then download a tool called Tiny Umbrella version 5.10.10 ONLY. Not any version above 5.10.10.

Plug in phone. Clic the "Save SHSH" button.

If 5.0.1 comes up then you can restore to it.

On a side note you can download a tool called iDetector from ih8sn0w.com and it will tell you I'd your device is old bootrom or new bootrom.

Of you have a new bootrom then 5.1 will be a tethered jailbreak. If you have old bootrom then you will have an untethered jailbreak on 5.1.

I recommend you go with whatever is an untethered jailbreak. But you need Tiny Umbrella to see which SHSH you have. After you click the "Save SHSH" button, a list of the iOS firmwares will show in the white box. Whatever shows in that list is the only iOS you will be able to restore to. Those are your SHSH blobs. SHSH blobs are blobs of data you need to save on every new iOS release. Whenever Apple releases a new iOS, they stop signing the previous one. The SHSH blobs allow you to restore to an iOS is not being signed any more.

If you are an unlocker it is very important that you create your own custom IPSW with the tools provided.

I'm going to unlock as i'm not planning to use AT&T at this time.
I appreciate everyone's help & guidance.

JGKC9AYC said:
I'm going to unlock as i'm not planning to use AT&T at this time.
I appreciate everyone's help & guidance.

If you ate going to unlock then you need to make a custom IPSW. If you update through iTunes normally you will lose the ability to unlock.

I recommend you use Sn0wbreeze.

If you have SHSH for 5.0.1 you have to download the 5.0.1 IPSW then make sure to choose "iFaith mode" in Sn0wbreeze

If you do not have 5.0.1 SHSH then you will use to download the 5.1 IPSW and create a custom IPSW with it with sn0wbreeze.

SHSH blobs are used to let you switch between firmwares. If you wish to change to a particular firmware (say 5.0.1, the latest with an untethered jailbreak) then you or a previous owner of the phone need to have saved your 5.01 blobs (with tiny umbrella or cydia)whilst apple were still signing (ie authorising) 5.0.1. Otherwise you will have to either stay on 4.3.3 or update to 5.1. There is a few other things to take into account so I suggest reading about it a bit before you decide.
4.3.3 is a good firmware; a lot of people were on it or 4.2.1 for a long time. It was the last untethered jailbreak before the 5.0.1 red snow came out. There are a couple of ways to jailbreak it; red snow I think or you could use jailbreak me.com. There are some of the latest apps you won't be able to use, but it isn't a bad option. If you can live with a tethered jailbreak then just update to 5.1; that's if you haven't got 5.0.1 blobs

Sorry didn't see posts; if you need an unlock then obviously my advice is insufficient. Still, 4.3.3 is not bad, I miss my 4.2.1. Ios5 hasn't really brought any spectacular improvements I don't think. Notification centre? Meh

Hungryghost said:
Sorry didn't see posts; if you need an unlock then obviously my advice is insufficient. Still, 4.3.3 is not bad, I miss my 4.2.1. Ios5 hasn't really brought any spectacular improvements I don't think. Notification centre? Meh

LOL.............ya have actually "use" the iOS before saying that. iOS 5 is the "best" iOS Apple has made so far. Plain and simple.