What's new

Netflix Will Add Offline Viewing Mode By The End Of 2016

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
Netflix-8.7-for-iOS-space-gray-iPhone-screenshot-001.jpg
Back in December 2014, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said offline viewing for the service was "never going to happen". Since then, services like Amazon and Comcast have launched offline viewing capabilities, and now it seems Netflix might have a change of heart.

A few days ago, Streaming Observer learned that Netflix will be adding offline mode by the end of this year:

"Netflix users would download a specific video to their device while connected to Wi-Fi or data, and then pull up the videos later with no connection needed. It’s not clear if the downloaded content would be able to be transferred anywhere else."

On Tuesday, COO of Taitz has confirmed that Netflix will in fact bring the feature by 2016's end. However, it is unclear how the feature will work and what content it will support. If other business models are anything to go by, offline mode would only be available for Netflix original series content.

Downloaded Netflix content will almost certainly self-delete after a pre-set time limit expires.
Perfect. I have lots of shows I'd like to be able to watch on the go when not on wifi. ;)

Rumour has it though, it may just be Netflix Originals only, but we won't know until we know.

Perfect. I have lots of shows I'd like to be able to watch on the go when not on wifi. ;)

Rumour has it though, it may just be Netflix Originals only, but we won't know until we know.
I've heard that rumour as well. What complicates this potential downloadable content service on Netflix is that Netflix would have to negotiate agreements for their content to be downloaded with every content provider. These agreements may come in time and are likely the reason that the ability to download will be restricted to Netflix original content, at least at first.

Last edited: