What's new

Need for a long playing tone for email 'pushes'

Rollo

Reaction score
Even tho I select a "Ringtone' rather than an "Alert' tone to notify me that an email has been pushed to me, all that plays is a 1 second Alert tone. I am using the Gmail App (not the native iphone 'Mail' App as it can't receive pushes from Gmail) which successfully 'pushes' email notifications to the phone.

This is not good enough as this needs to work on a Hotline, and emails need to be responded to immediately.Missing a little chirp sound is way too easy to do on the road or walking around in a busy area (or even at a relatively quiet place).

Anyone have any good ideas about how to get a long playing tune or tone or ringtone working for an email?

Thanks
Rollo

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Rollo!

With the Gmail app, it's only possible to enable "Sounds", it's not possible to select a ringtone or an alert.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Rollo!

With the Gmail app, it's only possible to enable "Sounds", it's not possible to select a ringtone or an alert.

Thanks JA,

I am willing to use another app or the native Mail app, or another email service than Gmail, but I have to find an app which pushes AND rings loud and long or we will have to dump our iPones for something that does.

Rollo

In the built in app, Outlook, Yahoo and iCloud push, and you're able to select a ringtone which plays longer than just the short notification you get otherwise.

When you install a 3rd party app, the only option you get is to use sound (the short notification sound), as far as I know.

Last edited:
In the built in app, Outlook, Yahoo and iCloud push, and you're able to select a ringtone which plays longer than just the short notification you get otherwise.

When you install a 3rd party app, the only option you get is to use sound (the short notification sound), as far as I know.

Thanks JA
Yes I switched to an Outlook account in the basic Mail service which solved the short duration alerts problem, and it does Push, but when the phone falls asleep it doesn't get woken up by push notifications. I rebooted the phone and so far no luck.

Rollo

Actually, it does wake the phone, but it takes about 10 minutes. I don't know if the phone is at fault or Outlook.

I also can't see how to set up an iCloud email account. Perhaps it would be better.

Maybe Yahoo pushes faster than Outlook. Gmail pushes immediately.

I don't use Yahoo with the built in app, but with Yahoo Mail. It pushes when it's locked as well, so maybe this will be the same when you use it with the Mail app.

If you want to set up an iCloud account, go to Settings - iCloud. If there's an account already, disable Find my iPhone and enter the password, then sign out.

That done, you'll be able to create an iCloud account. I think "Create new account" is the option offered there.

I don't use Yahoo with the built in app, but with Yahoo Mail. It pushes when it's locked as well, so maybe this will be the same when you use it with the Mail app.

If you want to set up an iCloud account, go to Settings - iCloud. If there's an account already, disable Find my iPhone and enter the password, then sign out.

That done, you'll be able to create an iCloud account. I think "Create new account" is the option offered there.

JA
you lost me, when you said "If there's an account already" - do you mean to add -DELETE IT? I have a GMail account set up there from when we purchased the phone it is also what I have to authenticate when Apple wants me to do something like purchase an app.

Also when you say "I don't use Yahoo with the built in app, but with Yahoo Mail" what do you mean by 'Yahoo Mail' an downloaded app?

Does an icloud account mean a distinct email account that looks like [email protected]?

thanks
Rollo

That's what I meant, something like [email protected].
The Gmail account is used for your purchases (iTunes & App Store), and your iPhone will keep asking for the password when you purchase something, because you won't remove the Apple ID for your purchases.

You can use a different account for iCloud.

When you set up an iCloud account, you'll change the account for your backups. If you use Keychain, PhotoStream or iCloud Photo Library, those will be stored in a different location/account than your current one.

It's possible that it's not worth the effort, though. I've sent an email to my Outlook and iCloud accounts yesterday, and they both received it at the same time. My device wasn't locked when I tried this.

Yahoo Mail is an app downloaded from the App Store (short notification sound when an email arrives). I don't use the account in the built in Mail app, so I'm not certain how it will work there.

OK, for the record, here are my conclusions for our service and its varied hardware:

Issues: Email Push, Immediate Notifications, long Ringtone Alerts

· does the email service ‘Push’ notifications (Yes for Gmail APP, Outlook, ICloud, but No to native Gmail on iPhone)

· does the operators phone (App or OS) offer push or merely timed ‘pulls’? (Yes to a iPhone with iCloud, but no to iCloud on a Windows Phone (WP8.1 ))

· does the phone allow long playing Ringtones rather than 1 second ‘’Alerts’? (yes on WP8, but with Gmail App- no to an iPhone)

· does it ‘push’ emails immediately or take 10 minutes? (is the delay the phone’s fault or the email servers fault? I don’t know!) (Yes from Outlook to a WP8 phone, but no from Outlook to a iPhone)

Conclusions:

· IPhone phones should use the iCloud acct

· WP8 phones should use the Outlook acct

· Android phones, I haven’t tested, but the Gmail App should certainly work