What's new

Navigation

I have never had a problem with the Google Maps Navigation. Works great it MN

Nobody said you were going to have problems, it just doesnt have the features im looking for. Google maps has no visual directions, no voice prompts, no way to map out points of interest along your route, it's not really a GPS at all, it's basically just a digital mapquest.

Jmills87 said:
Nobody said you were going to have problems, it just doesnt have the features im looking for. Google maps has no visual directions, no voice prompts, no way to map out points of interest along your route, it's not really a GPS at all, it's basically just a digital mapquest.

As long as the dot is on the line you should be fine. Lol

Not me iCrank, I have the WORST directional skills ever hahaha, if I am not seeing a live visual of my surroundings with turn-by-turn instructions I will get lost! hahaha

Jmills87 said:
Not me iCrank, I have the WORST directional skills ever hahaha, if I am not seeing a live visual of my surroundings with turn-by-turn instructions I will get lost! hahaha

Lol..

Yes, of course it has voice turn-by-turn! I use a Darth Vader voice for mine hahahah. ... ... ...

TomTom for US is $49.99 and it's the best $49.99 I've ever spent!

I used TomTom on an HP iPAQ PDA several years ago. I downloaded from their site 2 or 3 different voices for free. Does TomTom still offer voices for free? Will they work on the iPhone? If they have them but charge for them what are the prices? Are they "in app" purchases? I'm hoping they still have the Aussie male voice.

I get my first iPhone delivered by UPS Monday and TomTom is one of the first apps I'm planning to buy.

I think the reason why Apps that are free in Android are turning up NOT free in iOS is because Apple charges a yearly fee to developers.

I used TomTom on an HP iPAQ PDA several years ago. I downloaded from their site 2 or 3 different voices for free. Does TomTom still offer voices for free? Will they work on the iPhone? If they have them but charge for them what are the prices? Are they "in app" purchases? I'm hoping they still have the Aussie male voice.

I get my first iPhone delivered by UPS Monday and TomTom is one of the first apps I'm planning to buy.

You can still download voices but they cost money(in-app purchase), but the only ones that cost money are the novelty voices like Homer Simpson, C3PO, Darth Vader, Snoop Dogg, etc.

I'm pretty sure the different dialects of English like Aussie, UK, etc. come with it for free.

My app of choice is Magellan Roadmate. I have most of the nav apps, Magellan Roadmate, Garmin StreetPilot, TomTom US Canada, Navigon USA, Telenav GPS Plus, Copilot USA, Mapquest, GPS Drive and a few others. Magellan has a nice balance of features and I like the "ding" that it emits at the point of turn.

My hardware GPS is the TomTom XL340TM Live. It has excellent traffic support and Google support via cellular network and under normal conditions gives me no problems. My only problem is that it does not quite understand just what a highway/freeway is. Here in New York City I like to avoid the "highway" system during "rush hour" when everything grinds to a halt. Many times I am better off using local streets. Magellan and Garmin will avoid the highways when that option is chosen but not the TomTom.

For the goof I would at times run two navigation apps at the same time!

I must admit that I just recently downloaded the Telenav app. It is real cool in that I can speak where I want to navigate to so I really have to give it a chance. It cost me all of a buck for the app with a 10 spot for the year for voice.

Recently discovered this one...WAZE
Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

Just started using it this week, its more of a 'Social Network GPS' so it helps to have your input for map errors, police locations, construction, accidents, traffic delays, etc. It's uses BING Maps, so I'm happy not to see another Google Map App. The turn by turn direction and recalculation are pretty good. I found the recalculation a bit slower than TelNav but still was not too bad. Didn't see much of an option for quick select for best traffic routes, but this one learns from you as you drive and eventually learns your route to map for you if its not a default route...(SCARY) but not bad to have.

Enjoy!

Been using MotionX GPS for a couple of weeks. Testing it in areas I travel frequently and so far it's been very accurate.

I use Waze. It doesn't IMO know as many routes as google maps on sprint. I'm looking at biting the bullet and getting garmin or Tom Tom.

Darkstar have you used garmin or Tom Tom? Ratings are the same in the app store, but garmin is cheaper

Some observations on some of the apps. TotTom has an effective traffic support, better than Garmin. It will suggest mid trip alternatives as traffic situations develop. I do believe that you have to do an in-app purchase for the traffic option

This past Sunday I drove from Long Island to New Jersey. All my GPS apps suggested LIE - midtown tunnel - 34th St - Lincoln tunnel and saw no traffic issues. The Magellen Roadmate had issues with the trek through Manhattan claiming slow traffic throughout 34th st. Goole seemed to confirm that by showing lots of red in the band around 34th st going from east side to west side. Magellan offered an alternative to go over the GW bridge. We opted to follow the majority and went through Manhattan, Yes it was S-L-O-W. What is good to note was that traffic support is free with Magellen with no yearly subscription. Another nice freebe was the inclusion, again free, with Magellen of red-light cameras!

I only mention this to alert people that Magellen should be in the running. From my experience it boild down to TomTom and Magellen. Garmin never really gave me effective traffic for me to really use it.