What's new

Navigation

700MHz

Reaction score
I LOVE the Sprint Navigation with the constant traffic updates and reroutes your to bypass accidents / traffic jams and the ease of just doing a search for a name of business and it finds it with th option to call and set the navigation right away for you...

So I called Sprint Customer Service and asked if the iPhone 4S will include my beloved Sprint Navigation and was told NO! Sucks...

Anyways, can you guys tell me what the Navigation app (default) that comes with the iPhone is like.

700MHz said:
I LOVE the Sprint Navigation with the constant traffic updates and reroutes your to bypass accidents / traffic jams and the ease of just doing a search for a name of business and it finds it with th option to call and set the navigation right away for you...

So I called Sprint Customer Service and asked if the iPhone 4S will include my beloved Sprint Navigation and was told NO! Sucks...

Anyways, can you guys tell me what the Navigation app (default) that comes with the iPhone is like.

The default maps is Google maps. It's not the best but in my case it works. iOS 5 added some tweaks to it that's reroutes And print from within the maps app.

Attachments

• $image-416273009.jpg
    $image-416273009.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
OK, so I looked it up and the Sprint Nav is powered by 'TeleNav'. I checked and found 'TeleNav' has their own app for iPhone in two versions. One is free and the second is $9.99 for the year which includes voice turn by turn and additional features from the free app.
Just to you let guys know every feature listed in the paid app is FREE with sprint navigation...Guess I'll have to pay for what I currently have for free...#OccupyWallStreet

Get GPS for Free on iPhone 4G. The personal navigation app that gets you and gets you there.

The default maps is Google maps. It's not the best but in my case it works. iOS 5 added some tweaks to it that's reroutes And print from within the maps app.

I was pretty disappointed to hear that Sprint Nav wouldn't be on the iphone too since I use it a lot. Does the Google Maps app by any chance have turn by turn voice notifications?

aktruong said:
I was pretty disappointed to hear that Sprint Nav wouldn't be on the iphone too since I use it a lot. Does the Google Maps app by any chance have turn by turn voice notifications?

Nope. Sorry.

I asked this in the iPhone 4S forum and was told that the MapQuest iPhone app has VOICE turn by turn navigation...and it's free...only it uses a bunch of data (which is no issue for us Sprint users :)) -- They also recommended another 49 dollar app that uses ALOT less data...but why pay for an app of that high a price, when we can use the MapQuest app for free and have unlimited Data!!

konikub said:
I asked this in the iPhone 4S forum and was told that the MapQuest iPhone app has VOICE turn by turn navigation...and it's free...only it uses a bunch of data (which is no issue for us Sprint users :)) -- They also recommended another 49 dollar app that uses ALOT less data...but why pay for an app of that high a price, when we can use the MapQuest app for free and have unlimited Data!!

Well depends on coverage now doesn't it lol. I don't use any navigation apps. I actually have had enough training to survive off of maps and a compass. Truthfully though I have turn by turn built into my truck.

I use the TomTom app on my iPhone religiously. It is amazing. It can re-route your travel based on traffic and road closings, music player is built-in so you can control your iPod right from the TomTom app and the UI is just really neat and organized. You can enter addresses manually or you can do a Google search to find businesses near you or you can search for a business by type(gas station, restaurant, bar, etc.). You can also "search along route" so if you enter a destination you can do a search for a place that is on the way to your final destination.

Last edited:
Two questions....

1) How much is the TomTom app...?
2) Does it have "voice" turn by turn...?

The cost is almost not an issue for me, however...the "voice" turn by turn is an absolute must have. I can not keep looking a the screen to see when and where I have to turn next. I need it to tell me "In 200 feet, make a right turn on to Rt 4"

I was told that the MapQuest app does have this "voice" turn by turn feature, and the app is also free :) However, I'd be willing to check out the TomTom app....if voice turn by turn is indeed a feature....as it sounds like a very nice app!

Yes, of course it has voice turn-by-turn! I use a Darth Vader voice for mine hahahah. MapQuest has got nothing on TomTom though. Free might be nice but the old adage "you get what you paid for" definitely comes to mind. The free alternatives for GPS navigation are cumbersome, poorly designed, inaccurate and lack features.

TomTom for US is $49.99 and it's the best $49.99 I've ever spent!

Yes, of course it has voice turn-by-turn! I use a Darth Vader voice for mine hahahah. MapQuest has got nothing on TomTom though. Free might be nice but the old adage "you get what you paid for" definitely comes to mind. The free alternatives for GPS navigation are cumbersome, poorly designed, inaccurate and lack features.

TomTom for US is $49.99 and it's the best $49.99 I've ever spent!

Is this a subscription price? And if not how much are upgrades to the maps? The $49.99 is not bad as long as I am not being charged by the year.

I will def try out TomTom on your recommendation! I do find it funny that we don't see app costing that much in the Android market. I am coming from Android (die hard for the past two years)...and most all apps are free or if they do cost money it's like 99 cents. The most expensive app I have on my EVO is Tweetcaster Pro for 4.99 lol.

SOOOOoooo looking forward to the quality of Apples apps, and leaving behind that crappy Android one!

I do find it funny that we don't see app costing that much in the Android market.

For the most part the App store is the same as the Android store, most apps are either free or $0.99 however GPS applications are big applications that take a lot of time and bandwidth from the companies who develop them, I am sure any GPS apps in the Android market are similarly priced

I have never had a problem with the Google Maps Navigation. Works great it MN