What's new

My Apple Pay experience on iPhone and Watch

Jenningsville

Reaction score
Apple Pay went live in UK on 14th July. Here's my experience...

Day one... I started with just using my phone. Touch in/out on the tube worked brilliantly, but a hassle having to be holding phone at same time as my bag and jacket, worried my phone might get knocked out of my hand in rush hour scrum through the barriers. More convenient to use my Barclays bPay wrist band. Easy sandwich purchase in Pret, attracted a lot of attention when I paid using my phone. Tried paying for dinner for two using my phone at an obscure non-chain Indian cafe in evening by selecting a credit card in my Passbook and touching down on their contact less machine... it worked!

Day two... took my Watch out for a spin. A bit annoying that I had to separately load all my cards on to the Watch. Would have been much better if I could have just selected which of the cards already on my phone I wanted on my Watch. As it is however, at present you select Passbook in the Watch app on your phone and load each card individually via exactly the same process that you just used to load them on your phone, i.e. scan front, enter security code, request and enter verification code. A bit time consuming as it's not obvious to me that all that security is required again given that the watch is already uniquely paired to the phone.

Now to the good stuff... the Watch really comes into its own as an Apple Pay device. So convenient, quick and easy. Straight from the Watch watch-face screen... simply double click the Watch home button and rest the Watch on the retailer's device... job done. No fumbling for cash or cards in your pocket, wallet, purse. No fumbling for phone and holding it so your thumb/finger on fingerprint sensor.

Just 2 steps... double click and touch. Simples! If like me you have more than one card loaded on your watch then double click will select the card you've marked as the default. Easy to use one of the other cards... just one extra step... double click, swipe to card wanted, and touchdown.

NB1 Note when loading Amex card into Passbook use the 4 digit security code on the front of the card, not the 3 digit security code on the back that you use when loading credit and debit cards.

NB2 Once your cards are loaded on your Watch you can use Apple Pay on the Watch without being in proximity to your phone.

NB3 Max Apple Pay purchase tried so far using Passbook credit card has been £25.

NB4 Now on day 5... Watch Apple Pay is so convenient that I haven't used cash, cards, or phone since.

Thanks for telling us about your experience with ApplePay, Good to hear its going well here in the UK.